S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Wet Carpet on passenger side

Old 01-27-2001, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While installing my MG floor mats this afternoon I noticed the underside of my stock passenger-side mat was very wet. Water drops all over it. The wet part matched up with the lowest part of the passenger-side footwell. The carpet there is a bit damp but not nearly as wet as the mat.

I'm familar with the problem with the AC hose plugging up and leaking onto the floor, but I haven't run the AC in months.

It may have just been condensation, also may be a leak somewhere as we have had a lot of rain recently. Any suggestions on places to look for a leak?

BTW, any suggestions on how to prevent mold and mildew from forming on wet carpet. It's currently dry and doesn't smell yet.
Old 01-27-2001, 01:32 PM

Mikey,

I remember a post in early H-A.net days by someone who had worked the POE yards in Portland, OR checking on and properly connecting a drain hose on the passenger side of all new S2000's. This was in August of '99 and prior to the first US deliveries. Perhaps your car made it through without this inspection.

Any other "old-timers" remember this?

John
Old 01-27-2001, 02:06 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Anytime you run the defrost the A/C is turned on. There was an issue with a missing clamp on early cars but your problem is probably condensation off the housing. It appears that it is not insulated well enough and in humid conditions the whole unit sweats.
Old 01-27-2001, 02:14 PM

Chris is right on the money.

I now recall that it was an AC drain line connection problem.
Old 01-27-2001, 02:15 PM

Yeah, I just thought of the defrost/AC thing myself. I've been trying to think if I've run it recently, but I don't think I have.

I'm thinking it's condensation, as some mornings there is a bit of condensation on the inside of the windows. Also, I didn't notice any leaks when I went over the top with the hose.
Old 01-27-2001, 02:20 PM

I have a similar problem in my car and know that it occurs anytime I wash the car (I have never driven it in the rain). I am presuming that the water gets sprayed in from under the door. I dont expect it would occur if I ever had to drive the car in the rain since there should not be any water pressure entering from beneath the door, so I simply dry the inside passenger sill area after each wash and I am all set. I tried to figure out how any water can get past the bottom door seal but am baffled. You might want to confirm if your car is leaking from the same area as mine by spraying water on the side of your car starting from the bottom of the door and checking inside, then working your way up.....I plan to do this when the weather warms up here.
Old 01-27-2001, 02:27 PM

I don't drive my car in the rain either, but it does get rained on. I've also noticed that the bottom of both door jambs (where the S2000 plate is) are wet after washing or being rained on.

But I never thought this water would run into the car, it just runs out to the ground when I open the doors.
Old 01-27-2001, 02:32 PM

Mikey,
I just checked my passenger door again to see if the drain holes were plugged, but they were not. I have no idea how the water is getting in, unless the rubber seal on the bottom of the door isnt thick enough or misaligned, although, to my eyes, it looks alright.
Old 01-27-2001, 02:47 PM

I too get some drops of water appearing on the sill where the S2000 logo appears. The only place I can see where it may be leaking off the door is on the bottom of the door panel, but to get there, the water must be coming in from the exterior window seal where it meets the door. I now do not believe it is leaking from spraying water on the side of the car, since you said yours leaks from rain, and you dont drive in the rain either, and I cant see anywhere water could get past the bottom door seal. Wish it were warmer here so I could take out the hose and start testing (still, from the bottom up).