S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

We've heard of warranty problems based on engine mods, what about suspension mods?

Old 11-21-2003, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default We've heard of warranty problems based on engine mods, what about suspension mods?

We've all heard of warranty claims being denied for major issues based on the fact that a car has an intake or exhaust or something similar. Has anyone had similar problems when they had suspension mods on the car? Rims, lowering springs, sway bars, STB, x brace, aftermarket struts, etc?

Just curious. I don't have a huge interest in modding my engine, other than perhaps aftermarket mufflers on OEM pipes, but I would like to upgrade the suspension a bit. On the other hand, I don't want to have problems down the line if I need warranty work done (I have a non-AHM extended warranty).
Old 11-21-2003, 02:47 PM

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

I have!!! I got the tranny grind, buzzing clutch, abd rattling shifter (all verified by the head mechanic durring the test drive, and again by the other mechanics durring the examination of the car). All these symptoms have been getting worse scince i have purchased the car, and so i installed suspension last week, 2 day later i got to the dealership and there telling me the coilovers are causing the problems. Honda care sya if i want anything covered need to authorize the teardown of the tranny and put my money up against it. THen once its apart their going to have an inspecton come down to see if its my suspensions fault of if it really is a defect. it sucks dude. I am so sick of the bull when it comes to warrantys from honda. Theres no way in hell im going to put up 1500-2000 bucks to have these @$$ holes play with my tranny. Oh well, guess ill just have to do it my self.
Old 11-21-2003, 09:14 PM

Man, that's rough. Is it worth switching back to the stock units to prove to them that it isn't the c/o's?

My car needs the clutch TSB done as well, but I haven't bothere because I can't go for that long without my car. I figure it can't hurt anything so what the heck.
Old 11-21-2003, 11:35 PM

do you have written documentation (service records) of the problem before you installed the suspension?

That disproves them. If it existed before the modification, then they can't say the modification caused it.

And how could a suspension cause the tranny and shifter to rattle and grind?

I would be on the phone with Honda international. I'd also be calling my state government to find the right agency to complain to. Then I'd call SEMA to get their advice.

Then I'd call an attorney refered to me by SEMA or the lawyers association in my area who is familiar with warranty law.

They have to prove that a given modification caused a given failure, before they deny coverage.