S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

What Are Common S2000 Problems / Issues?

Old 09-17-2007, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I've gathered by looking around on the forum. I'm sure others will comment on the list and add other issues.

AP1/AP2
-The top frame mechanism may wear through the top material (check inside where metal frame meets top)
-Bushings may sieze up / rust (front)
-Rear bumper may be mis-aligned (gap between tail lights and bumper)

AP2
-Clutch delay valve is a nuisance (this depends on your viewpoint and driving style)

It might be a good idea to do a compression/leak down test and a UOA (used oil analysis). These two may or may not be worth it depending on your wallet.

Lee
Old 09-18-2007, 03:01 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It depends on what you mean by common.

One of the biggest problems to look for when buying a used (AP1) S2000 is an over-revved motor. This will manifest itself most commonly in the intake side of the valve train - specifically in damaged valve spring retainers. This issue is insidious, if not totally silent - until the motor eventually eats itself up due to a dropped valve.
An AP2 doesn't suffer the same fate because a severe over-rev will typically manifest itself immediately - sometimes with bent valves or worse. There are several factors that drive this, one of them being the fact AP2 retainers are stronger than AP1 retainers.
Anyway, the only way to identify damaged retainers is to have the valve cover pulled and a trained mechanic inspect the retainers. There are a couple of cars that have suffered damaged exhaust valve retainers - but this is much less common.
Do a search and look at the volumes of information posted on this. Here's a post from Billman250 - who is likely the most experienced at identifying and repairing this issue (scroll up and down this page for info):
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...&#entry10221739

Read his posts and absorb as much info as you can on this issue. Additionally, Billman has posted several descriptive pictures of this problem on this site that show any mechanic unfamiliar with this issue exactly what to look for (and there are few Honda techs that can spot this the first time).
Then armed with your new-found info take your prospective car to a certified Honda technician and have a thorough inspection done. I also recommend having a leakdown and compression check done at the same time. You can expect to pay around $80-$150 for these inspections. Watch the process if at all possible.

I would also avoid cars owned by younger drivers, show signs of heavy modification or abuse. Car Fax is also a good source of info on the car's history.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by slipstream444,Sep 18 2007, 03:01 AM
It depends on what you mean by common.

One of the biggest problems to look for when buying a used (AP1) S2000 is an over-revved motor. This will manifest itself most commonly in the intake side of the valve train - specifically in damaged valve spring retainers. This issue is insidious, if not totally silent - until the motor eventually eats itself up due to a dropped valve.
An AP2 doesn't suffer the same fate because a severe over-rev will typically manifest itself immediately - sometimes with bent valves or worse. There are several factors that drive this, one of them being the fact AP2 retainers are stronger than AP1 retainers.
Anyway, the only way to identify damaged retainers is to have the valve cover pulled and a trained mechanic inspect the retainers. There are a couple of cars that have suffered damaged exhaust valve retainers - but this is much less common.
Do a search and look at the volumes of information posted on this. Here's a post from Billman250 - who is likely the most experienced at identifying and repairing this issue (scroll up and down this page for info):
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...&#entry10221739

Read his posts and absorb as much info as you can on this issue. Additionally, Billman has posted several descriptive pictures of this problem on this site that show any mechanic unfamiliar with this issue exactly what to look for (and there are few Honda techs that can spot this the first time).
Then armed with your new-found info take your prospective car to a certified Honda technician and have a thorough inspection done. I also recommend having a leakdown and compression check done at the same time. You can expect to pay around $80-$150 for these inspections. Watch the process if at all possible.

I would also avoid cars owned by younger drivers, show signs of heavy modification or abuse. Car Fax is also a good source of info on the car's history.
Awesome post - thanks very much!

Are you a Boom? I recently got out of the AF, I have a bunch of friends that were / are Boom's.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:18 PM

I agree with everyone above, definately buy a carfax subscription while you are looking. Its not the end all be all of telling you if the car was wrecked, but I found when looking for mine about 8 out of 10 MY00-02's on autotrader and cars.com had been involved in an accident.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Low Level,Sep 19 2007, 05:50 PM
Awesome post - thanks very much!

Are you a Boom? I recently got out of the AF, I have a bunch of friends that were / are Boom's.
No problem. It was smart to ask the question.
The S2000 is one of those cars you need the inside line on before you buy one used. The over-rev issue has bit a few folks shortly after purchasing a used S2000. An over-revved motor won't be covered under warranty either - and you'd have a hard time trying to prove the over-rev wasn't yours. It's better to catch it before you buy it. Most of the other issues tend to show themselves right away - as long as you're listening and not overcome by the thought of owning the car!

The picture is the actual angle from which I work - I'm a Navy pilot
I'm currently flying another platform, but my primary platform is the E-6B Mercury (commonly confused with the EA-6B Prowler). It's the only Naval aircraft that takes gas the same way the Air Force does (...it's a B707 based airframe).

I know a few boom operators as well. A good friend of mine is a reserve boom who's also a great aviation artist - Darby Perrin.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:53 PM

Yes - all good points. I'm on it.

Now I just need to decide --- AP1 or AP2.... ?

My immediate boss is an Ex-Squid too --- he was a -53 pilot (helo's). I know a little about the E-6B, but not a lot --- I used to be in a J-STARS squadron, also a 707-based jet.

I'm ex-Air Force blue --- recently ex-, actually. Thanks for all that you do.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by Low Level,Sep 20 2007, 04:53 PM
Yes - all good points. I'm on it.

Now I just need to decide --- AP1 or AP2.... ?

My immediate boss is an Ex-Squid too --- he was a -53 pilot (helo's). I know a little about the E-6B, but not a lot --- I used to be in a J-STARS squadron, also a 707-based jet.

I'm ex-Air Force blue --- recently ex-, actually. Thanks for all that you do.
Thanks brother. And thanks for your service as well.
I'm actually a Mustang; 10+ years prior Enlisted before I got my Commission. My LES keeps telling me I'm getting paid for over 20 years - I still can't believe how fast it's all gone by.

Cheers and good luck with your next S2000. I don't think you can go wrong either way - both cars are fantastic.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:09 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RACER,Sep 11 2007, 03:18 AM
click here bro

A thread like this would be very well suited in the S2000 Talk Forum

You are correct.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:11 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

problems/issues? bad rear tires life span
Old 09-22-2007, 03:57 PM

you can only pick up one chick at a time..

Quick Reply: What Are Common S2000 Problems / Issues?