S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

What counts as a 'trip'

Old 07-06-2006, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What counts as a 'trip'

Ok, so I guess when I got gas a few days back I didnt tighten down the gas cap. So yesterday on the way home from work the check engine light comes on. I get home and check the gas cap - very loose - I tighten it down and consult my owners manaul (just got the car 2 weeks ago). It says the light will go off after 3 trips. So what counts as a trip? After checking the cap I have:

driven to the gym (~1mi)
driven home from gym (~1mi)
driven to carpool lot (~7mi)
driven home from carpool lot (~7mi)
taken a joy ride/trip to target (~30mi)
driven home from target (~10mi)

that seems like more than 3 trips to me. Is it time to call the dealer or have I just not logged enough miles on most of my trips?
Old 07-06-2006, 05:27 PM

um you guess that its the gas cap? I suggest you go get the code checked out free at autozone just to be on the safe side...but hey thats just me....
Old 07-06-2006, 05:29 PM

I assumed it was the gas cap cuz that was the first thing the manual said and it was definatly loose. I remember thinking after filling up "did I tighten that down."

I wasn't overly concerned since the manual mentioned that as the first issue and the cap was definatly loose. But I will call the dealer first thing tomorrow.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:46 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Bad idea to assume anything. Get the code pulled to put yourself at ease. If it's only a gas cap code, then reset the ECU. The dealer may hose you big time to make an appointment to pull a code. Before I got a Helm manual and before I got my own code reader, my dealer insisted on me booking the car in, leaving it for the whole day and having a complete diagnostics done. This would have cost stupid money. I just went and bought my own scanner. And Yup, it was a loose gas cap code - no other code.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:03 PM

Well, I bought the car certified used, so I have a 1 year bumper to bumper warranty. So the dealer won't charge me anything

Assuming it cost no money should I just take it to the dealer? Or should I try resetting the ECU first? If so, how do I reset it?
Old 07-06-2006, 06:06 PM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Don't jut reset the ECU, that's like painting rust. Get the code from Autozone for free, I think all the CEL codes are in a thread here somewhere, or call the dealership with it and tell us.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:08 PM

I think the nearest autozone is just as close as the dealership. May as well let them deal with it.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:17 PM

The dealer will charge you $70-100 to read the code if it ends up being something that isn't covered under warranty.

Some dealers aren't always the nicest and even if it only takes them 5 minutes to read that its a gas cap code and they get delete the code, they still might charge you. Read your bumper to bumper certified warranty, there's a lot of stuff that isn't covered.

Its your choice, but I'd listen to what people here have to say and get AutoZone to pull the code for you.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:32 PM

Thanks for the tips. It never occured to me that 'bumper to bumper' wouldn't mean just that. I will head to autozone tomorrow I guess.

Anyone have the link to the thread with all the codes?

Does autozone willingly read codes for free or do they try and get you to pay them for other stuff?

If it is the gas cap code, what is the process for resetting the code?
Old 07-06-2006, 06:34 PM
jah

if you got the 4hrs to leave the car at the dealer do it.

AutoZone in my area dosnt reset odb2 codes anymore but they will loan you a reader free, ~$170.00 deposit. you can read the code and reset it. maybe you can disocnnect the battery but you will loose the radio presets and the car will run odd afterwards.

locate the odb2 connector under the dash. location in the owners manual?

Quick Reply: What counts as a 'trip'