S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

What counts as a 'trip'

Old 07-07-2006, 03:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dmw16,Jul 7 2006, 04:49 AM
the weather was questionable

j/k
Old 07-07-2006, 03:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Siepel,Jul 7 2006, 03:15 AM
Depending on which code, a 'trip' as you call it can consist of three times "key-on key-off", but in some cases three times a full "warm-up cycle" where the engine temperature must rise from roughly 100F to 180F.

It's not unlikely your short trips did not meet the full warm-up cycle criteria.

Take care,

Siepel
Not disagreeing with you, but which DTC's that require multiple "driving trips" for the ECU to automatically clear, can be cleared using the "key-on key-off" method? That would seem to defeat the logic of the ECU requiring multiple trips if it could be fooled so easily.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by SenderGreen,Jul 7 2006, 01:54 PM
Not disagreeing with you, but which DTC's that require multiple "driving trips" for the ECU to automatically clear, can be cleared using the "key-on key-off" method? That would seem to defeat the logic of the ECU requiring multiple trips if it could be fooled so easily.
Some electrical disconnections of parts/sensors will only require that. In the OBD world there is a difference between the 'plausibility' checks and 'electrical circuit continuity' checks.

Although I am not 100% sure on Honda cars, for instance if you disconnect the connector of the EVAP purge valve (MIL will go on immediately) and reconnect it again, at each new key-on it registers that the electrical circuit is intact (so the error is fully gone!). You can simply do the three key-on key-offs without even starting the car and it will count towards clearing the code as three 'trips'. This is not possible for sensors with plausibility checks (compare data against known, logical and expected values).

Take care,

Siepel

PS: @ dmw16: You have to drive three long trips, starting from a 'cold' car, in order for the car to automatically reset it's check engine code.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:11 AM

I have been geting the P1456 code several time in my 2003 lately, I do have a code reader and have the ability to erase it. However after talking witha couple of people it may be that I need to replace the cap itself. Perhaps that could fix your issue as well.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Siepel,Jul 9 2006, 01:15 AM
Some electrical disconnections of parts/sensors will only require that. In the OBD world there is a difference between the 'plausibility' checks and 'electrical circuit continuity' checks.

Although I am not 100% sure on Honda cars, for instance if you disconnect the connector of the EVAP purge valve (MIL will go on immediately) and reconnect it again, at each new key-on it registers that the electrical circuit is intact (so the error is fully gone!). You can simply do the three key-on key-offs without even starting the car and it will count towards clearing the code as three 'trips'. This is not possible for sensors with plausibility checks (compare data against known, logical and expected values).

Take care,

Siepel

PS: @ dmw16: You have to drive three long trips, starting from a 'cold' car, in order for the car to automatically reset it's check engine code.
Makes sense to me, thanks for the reply and the info.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by SenderGreen,Jul 9 2006, 11:24 PM
Makes sense to me
Old 07-10-2006, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by Siepel,Jul 9 2006, 01:15 AM

Take care,

Siepel

I guess what Siepel is describing is an instance where a circuit check must completed 3 times before a DTC will clear. It's not really the same thing as "driving trips". It really is kind of apples and oranges, but I understand what he meant when he said:
Depending on which code, a 'trip' as you call it can consist of three times "key-on key-off", but in some cases three times a full "warm-up cycle" where the engine temperature must rise from roughly 100F to 180F.
I would consider these two different types. One, DTC's that can be cleared in 3 POST's (Power On Self Test) or 'continuity' circuit check. Two, DTC's that can be cleared in 3 actual "driving trips" 'plausibility'. So in that respect, you still couldn't fool an ECU into clearing a DTC that requires 3 "driving trips" with the "key-off key-on" method.