S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

What do stook owners think of Z3's?

Old 12-08-2000, 10:46 AM
STL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by FlyingPig:
I considered the Z3 because my wife liked it.
I came up on a yellow BMW roadster on the way home last night. As I got closer I noticed it was a M Roadster, but as I passed I noticed a "past her prime" lady driving it (slowly) -- and I thought to myself WHAT A WASTE. Why did someone like that pay extra to the the M? Stupidity...
Old 12-08-2000, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can bear out the fact that women like the Z3 a LOT. My wife, who couldn't care less about cars, actually ooohhh'd and aaahhhh'd over a Z3.

Personally, I like them. Not a great deal, but I wouldn't turn one down if someone offerred it to me. :-)

I have never driven one, so I can't comment on that. I did sit in one when my friend was looking at them, and the interior struck me as very...functional. No curves or flow. Lots of square, flat surfaces. The gauges were really plain.

Per the car mags, the ones with bigger engines really accelerate (great engine), but are a handful in the twisties.
Old 12-08-2000, 10:57 AM

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts

Never considered it, however, almost every owner I've run into has been so personable, whether or not I was in my S2K.

Unlike Boxster owners; I've never run into a nice Boxster owner, especially after showing them the potential of the S2K over their beloved Porsche.

Just wanted to add my own commentary on the differences of owners.

Just for FYI, when I run into other S2K owners while I'm in my S2K. . .they are the nicest people I've met. However, when I run into owners when I'm in my '94 Prelude (modded up like a ricer) or my totally stock '99 Accord they can be just as snobby, if not more, than Boxster owners. The surprising thing is that some of the nice owners that I've met in my S2K don't remember me when I run into them in one of my other cars and act totally opposite of when I met them before.

Urmil
Luder94
Old 12-08-2000, 11:00 AM

Originally posted by Luder94:
Never considered it, however, almost every owner I've run into has been so personable, whether or not I was in my S2K.

I Have to agree with Luder94, I just went to lunch with a Z3 owner, very nice guy, and a true car guy to boot.

Old 12-08-2000, 11:18 AM

You are all forgetting something that the 2001 Z3 which has the engine from the 330i is very powerful, 225hp but BMW always under estimates their cars. New tests say 0-60 mph is 5.8 secs. Which is how fast the S is.
Old 12-08-2000, 11:35 AM

I don't like the original Z3 design (as used on the M's) but I do like the newer rear ends... I'm not sure who above mentioned the newer rears quarters are ugly but they're actually similar to the S2k.

As far as looks, I favor the S2k, I'm not a fan of the front end, only finding it acceptible on the M Coupe (which I love). As for the performance, stick with the new 3.0 (M54?) engine, 225hp about 190lb/torque I believe... it propels the Z3 0-60 in about 5.7secs... the M's cast iron 240hp block does it in about 5-5.2.

My cousin (a lady) is placing an order for one soon... if I get to drive it, I'll post impressions also.

There is certainly is alot of them on the road tho.
Old 12-08-2000, 11:40 AM

is it just me? i think that the Z3 looks like a big shoe.

can we say "fee fi fo fum" ?
Old 12-08-2000, 11:46 AM

I like BMW but I never liked the looks of their roadster so never really paid them much attention. I didn't consider the Boxter either, only because I promised myself if I ever buy a Porsche it won't be the baby of the bunch. Besides the Stook looks better than the Boxter imho.
Old 12-08-2000, 11:46 AM

Besides, the Z3 was an adaptation made from a sedan body, while the S2000 was a clean sheet design of a true sports car
Old 12-08-2000, 11:48 AM

What do I think of the Z3? The same thing that I think about just about any roadster/sports car: Cool Car. Looks are totally subjective, but I think it's OK.

I tried an M Coupe on for size. I didn't fit. Why do the Japanese make the most accomodating cockpits? If the Coupe had fit, I'd probably be driving one right now.

Quick Reply: What do stook owners think of Z3's?