S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

What makes the biggest difference in acceleration?

Old 02-11-2006, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO, aside from a built engine + turbo, the ultimate acceleration upgrades would be as follows: 4.56 gears w/ reinforced housing, Comptech or Vortec S/C with aftercooler, full exhaust (single), and lightweight wheels with 255-265 rubber in the rear.

If a basic supercharged S2000 can pull low 13's with a good driver, the above combo should yield mid-high 12's and a VERY fun ride!
Old 02-11-2006, 09:22 AM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

A stock S2000,with gears will pull low 13's.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by tenblade2001,Feb 10 2006, 10:54 PM
(1) most people that talk the increased hwy rpm, etc don't even have them and are talking out of their ass. I have the 4.77, there's not problem with excessive rpm (I cruise at 85mph no problem...5300rpm). I drove the car from Virginiga to Texas and back, without one problem...so there goes the distance argument.
(2) a car with 4.77 can keep up with a SC car to third gear, after that the SC will pull and be gone. I raced dave22 (Vortech SC) and I have bolt-ons with 4.77. I got him off the line but he was with me after vtec and pulled away after 3rd.
That's it...first hand story no "speculation or a friend of a friend" story...
Nobody is "talking out of their ass," so you need to drop the attitude.

Some people find the car too damn buzzy with the stock 4:10's, and MANY with gears have reported more noise. That can only be denied by lying.

Besides, you will have a hard time convincing ANYONE that you'd actually choose gears over a supercharger if the cost was the same (or didn't matter).
Old 02-11-2006, 12:20 PM

Some of you still don't understand the original question.

In simplest terms, it is this:

Given the choice between a centrifugal supercharger and gears, and totally ignoring the cost, which would you rather have?

To answer that you have to think in terms of the two mods being free or equal in cost, and anyone who'd pay the same money for gears, over a supercharger, is missing something.

Your choice, gears for $3k, or a Comptech or Vortech SC/AC for $3k. Which would YOU choose?
Old 02-11-2006, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Wisconsin S2k,Feb 10 2006, 06:01 PM
With a great driver. I had a 13.7 stock myself. In the SE forum, I have a thread of several people's timeslips in the 13.8-13.9 range as well, bone stock. Even a video of a stock S2k hitting a 13.8.

oh ye of little faith.
A 13.7 is incredible, but the doubters forget that most time slips do not show corrected times. I know at least two people have turned 13.8's, so it's not unrealistic to expect colder temps, lower altitude, or better track temps to result in an even quicker run, sooner or later. I'd like to see the time slip; Even if I weren't a natural skeptic, I'd like to see the time slip. A run of 13.7 takes more than just a good driver.

For every 13.8 I've seen I've seen piles of time slips showing times between 14.0 and 14.5 so for most owners I think a stock S2000 is a low 14-second car. The best get below 14.0, but that's not really *typical*.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by tenblade2001,Feb 10 2006, 10:54 PM
(1) I have the 4.77, there's not problem with excessive rpm (I cruise at 85mph no problem...5300rpm). I drove the car from Virginiga to Texas and back, without one problem...so there goes the distance argument.
(2) a car with 4.77 can keep up with a SC car to third gear, after that the SC will pull and be gone. I raced dave22 (Vortech SC) and I have bolt-ons with 4.77. I got him off the line but he was with me after vtec and pulled away after 3rd.
Except for the attitude, which I deleted in the quote above (wish it had been said that way in the first place), and as edited, I agree 100%.

1) I also cruise between 80 and 90, sticking closer to 80 than 90 most of the time. This means the engine is working in the area between 4,300 and 4,900 RPM. At 80, a downshift to third puts me right in the middle of VTEC, so stock or FI, it's where I want to be. Third will take me to 90, but I can use forth at anything above 80 and I'm in VTEC. 5,300 RPM is about 70 in fourth, so if anyone wants to see how noisy the car is at those revs it's easy enough to test. Cars will vary, as will the owners tolerance. No argument with your experience, but mileage varies.

2) One doesn't have to think about it too long to understand the difference between gears and SC, though it's always nice when reality conforms to theory. Gears make more wheel torque off idle but even the stock car is traction limited until the tires regain some grip (assuming a hard launch). In a "gas and go" from low revs gears will give more wheel torque, up to a point. That point happens to be the point where the supercharger is making good boost and redline is coming up quickly, so in first and second the little burst doesn't make up for the extra torque the gears are producing low down. Once the cars are in VTEC the SCed car is pulling harder, but first and second go by so quickly that the advantage doesn't really start to show until third gear, at which point the SC can can pull away.

Please don't misunderstand. Gears are a great mod, and deliver a big bang for the buck. People's tolerance for cruising at higher revs varies, but I do think we all must agree that if the cost is not a factor we'd choose FI over gears (given only those two options).
Old 02-11-2006, 02:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RED MX5,Feb 11 2006, 05:55 PM
Except for the attitude, which I deleted in the quote above (wish it had been said that way in the first place), and as edited, I agree 100%.

1) I also cruise between 80 and 90, sticking closer to 80 than 90 most of the time. This means the engine is working in the area between 4,300 and 4,900 RPM. At 80, a downshift to third puts me right in the middle of VTEC, so stock or FI, it's where I want to be. Third will take me to 90, but I can use forth at anything above 80 and I'm in VTEC. 5,300 RPM is about 70 in fourth, so if anyone wants to see how noisy the car is at those revs it's easy enough to test. Cars will vary, as will the owners tolerance. No argument with your experience, but mileage varies.

2) One doesn't have to think about it too long to understand the difference between gears and SC, though it's always nice when reality conforms to theory. Gears make more wheel torque off idle but even the stock car is traction limited until the tires regain some grip (assuming a hard launch). In a "gas and go" from low revs gears will give more wheel torque, up to a point. That point happens to be the point where the supercharger is making good boost and redline is coming up quickly, so in first and second the little burst doesn't make up for the extra torque the gears are producing low down. Once the cars are in VTEC the SCed car is pulling harder, but first and second go by so quickly that the advantage doesn't really start to show until third gear, at which point the SC can can pull away.

Please don't misunderstand. Gears are a great mod, and deliver a big bang for the buck. People's tolerance for cruising at higher revs varies, but I do think we all must agree that if the cost is not a factor we'd choose FI over gears (given only those two options).
Whoooooooa... wait up Red. I wasn't giving you nor anyone in particular attitude. I will be the 1st to admit that you probably have forogtten more about cars than I know.... so RELAX. I stated things the way I did b/c whenever 4.77 gears are mentioned there is always someone that has negative opinion of them i.e. not suitable for daily/hwy driven cars, yet they are either (1) newbs or (2) have ZERO experience with cars and gearing. Second, there's always "friend of friend" stories which mislead people....they're usually BS as well. I was simply addressing those post. To be honest, your post didn't even show up on radar.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:10 PM

I have seen the vids by wisconsin and have the 4.56, single exhaust, and intake.

At what rpm would you reccomend I launch at the strip?

Has anyone tried the Nitto Drag radials on the S2K?
Old 02-11-2006, 06:25 PM

Biggest improvement is sell the car and buy something fast. Gears are the ideal choice since getting more power is almost impossible. Sure you can forcefeed her but if the car is "abused" reliability goes out the window.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:04 PM

[QUOTE=tenblade2001,Feb 11 2006, 06:24 PM]Whoooooooa... wait up Red. I wasn't giving you nor anyone in particular attitude. I will be the 1st to admit that you probably have forogtten more about cars than I know.... so RELAX.

Quick Reply: What makes the biggest difference in acceleration?