S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Wiper Blade Inserts?

Old 07-14-2006, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiper Blade Inserts?

Well I've had my S for 2 months today, and it seems like it has rained about half the days I've had it - in yesterday's storm, my wiper blades left rubber deposits on the outside edge of their swipe - usually a sure indication it's time for replacement. If the OEM inserts are only going to last me two months, I'd like to find something better.

Anyone else have any luck with this?

thanks,
Dave
Old 07-14-2006, 08:45 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

There is something wrong with your blades or the way you interpret what they're doing. No way a 2 month old set of factory blades are worn out. Are they wiping off the rain adequately? It may be just that the new rubber is leaving a deposit on the windshield. A sure sign? Never heard of this. Spray silicone spray onto a cloth and give the edges a good wipe.

Mine are over 5 years old and they are still working just fine.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:47 AM

[QUOTE=parkerdt,Jul 14 2006, 10:33 AM] Well I've had my S for 2 months today, and it seems like it has rained about half the days I've had it - in yesterday's storm, my wiper blades left rubber deposits on the outside edge of their swipe - usually a sure indication it's time for replacement.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:10 AM

They are not wiping off the rain perfectly, and they are depositing enough shedding rubber to be a distraction. This S sat in a showroom for 6 months before I bought it, so no telling what hands got onto the wiper blades. On every other car I've had that the blades did this, they were a year or more old and starting to tear in places; i.e worn out. That is why I think these are worn or damaged. I will try the silicone idea; I, too, just usually wash them down with my mitt.

And if the OEMs are the best, I'll order up a few sets. :-)

thanks, guys,
Dave
Old 07-14-2006, 11:32 AM

Hmmm... I have a MY2000 and I still have the original OEM wiper blades. I don't know if they still work, because I very rarely use my wipers. If you drive fast enough, the rain does not stay on your windshield for very long.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:42 AM

My OEM blade inserts didn't last very long, either. But having lived in the dry, sunny west for so long, I've become used to that. Basically, I was just changing them twice a year, summer-winter-summer (buying real winter blades each year and just replacing the inserts for summer).

So what I'm doing here in Florida is going with cheap inserts from the chain stores and discarding them when they stop working well enough.

Of course, it's different up in Canada. Up there, they use their original blades forever, on account of they don't have to see out to drive. Nothing to hit. HPH
Old 07-14-2006, 11:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In addition to what xviper suggested, I'd say you should also Rain-X the windshield or use a wax or sealant (check the wash'n'wax forum for recommendations) on the glass to help the water bead up. It'll repel the water AND help the wipers glide over the surface. Each stroke will be streak free. Doing this I've gone a couple years with streak free wipers before having to replace them (with OEM).
Old 07-14-2006, 12:10 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DrCloud,Jul 14 2006, 01:42 PM
Of course, it's different up in Canada. Up there, they use their original blades forever, on account of they don't have to see out to drive. Nothing to hit. HPH
Come on! We've got igloos, dog sleds and snowmobiles to dodge all the time.

This S sat in a showroom for 6 months before I bought it, so no telling what hands got onto the wiper blades.
Mine did, too. However, I guess it depends on the humidity and other factors while it sat. Being glued to the glass for months isn't a real good thing for them. Try the silicone thing first. You'll need the silicone for other stuff on your car anyway.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:47 PM

Received 227 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by parkerdt,Jul 14 2006, 01:10 PM
And if the OEMs are the best, I'll order up a few sets. :-)

thanks, guys,
Dave
They are pretty inexpensive, Dave. About $5.00 each at the dealer. Cheaper online but you will have to pay for shipping.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:10 PM

Xviper,

Which silicone do you recommend, and what else on the car is it useful for?

Mark,

Yeah, I think I'll pick up a set at Honda East on Wed when I get the HT installed, because this set is ng with all the rain we've been having. If the silicone doesn't work, I'll be set, if it does, then I have a spare for later. Not too expensive, either.

thanks for the input guys!!

Dave

Quick Reply: Wiper Blade Inserts?