S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Wreck Saga, Now what? (moderately long)

Old 06-06-2003, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wreck Saga, Now what? (moderately long)

I would be interested in what you think is the next step in my S2 saga..

SHORT HISTORY (as short as can be): I had a wreck back in late March in my 2001 S2 (check previous posts for details) and had the car towed to what is considered to be the best local place, a Honda, BMW, Mazda dealer that has a "collision center."

Initial damage estimate was 13k. On the second day, I asked insurance to total it because I thought 1) there would be additional damage found during repairs and 2) I suspected the transmission might be damaged (I was in gear, hit wall and immediately was sliding backward...likely in gear...which can't be good). They declined immediately.

Well, it gets on to 2-months and my car is not done (having problems with paint--SPA Yellow...although I must say, they did end up getting it right on the money..perfect match).

So I go to pick it up, finally...and they are having unexpected "check engine" light problems, but let me drive it a bit...As I drove it, there was a loud grating noise coming from a couple of places...right rotor area and middle of car generally. Car shifted, though not as buttery as before as I brought it right back.

At this point the bill has risen to 15k from discoveries during repair. So we send it to the same dealer's mechanics...they immediately notice the "loud tranny sound," as the manager described it, (the check engine light problem was a few unconnected pump lines).

When the Body Manager first contacts my Insurance, they won't authorize a teardown of the tranny without the contingency that I'll have to pay for it if its not accident related (like what else would it be). Teardown is about $700. We suggest to the agent that the tranny is 99% likely to be damaged and why don't we just skip teardown and replace tranny/diff and save the 700.

About an hour later, the agent has now approved the teardown, rather than outright replace the tranny. That's how it is now. The insurance is in for at least 15K and my guess is that the tranny is cooked. Let's say another 7k for everything now brings total to 23k-ish.

My questions are 1) what should I do (my State has no residual loss law and I had no intentions of selling car), and 2) what is the insurance likely to suggest? Other related suggestions always welcome. Thanks for any ideas.
Old 06-07-2003, 01:15 PM

At this point they will fix it because they are in way to deep to bail out now. If they had the car that long you can bet it was fixed right and you will have no further issues, and if you do it will still be accident related and warranted by the dealer to your insurance company. Sit back and let them buy.
Old 06-08-2003, 05:45 AM

Looks like you will just have to be a buzzing bee aggrivating the insurance company until the car is perfect again. It was their decision to not total the car. Make them pay for their decision by making your car perfect. I hope that you and the insurance company gets what they deserve. (You: A perfectly refurbished S2000 Them: A higher than expected bill).

The same thing happened to me and I had to take the car back 4 time before everything was perfect. I probably had the car in the shop a total of 4 months, but no one (Not even the dealership) can tell that the car was ever wrecked. I think that the total bill came to $15,000.

Sometimes I forget that the car was ever wrecked. Plus I have a newer paint job.

Good luck.
Old 06-08-2003, 06:30 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree with IDO914S: Keep taking it back until it's perfect. You biught perfect, you should have perfect. Remind the insurance co, about their decision not to total the car. They will not back out of yours, but it might help the next person this adjuster works on.