S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

About to purchase ap1 - quick questions

Old 11-30-2014, 06:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bgoetz
I am thinking the best place to start is with a valve adjustment and plugs.
agree.
Mine throw the same codes and it was the valves. valve retainers actually. all my retainers were cracked.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:33 PM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Where's the update ? Should be well out of pep boys by now
Old 12-03-2014, 10:25 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by superchargedk20
As its at pep boys quite the opposite!
Old 12-04-2014, 11:06 AM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by arsenal
Originally Posted by superchargedk20
As its at pep boys quite the opposite!
lol. Things can't be good.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gotpepsi
Hopefully PepBoys performed the compression test correctly and is not just giving you numbers because they assume that the engine is healthy (it's unethical but people do that). Anyways, it could be pretty daunting to track down misfires. Misfires could be based on anything, sparkplugs, Valves, low compression, piston rings, fuel injectors, coil packs, etc. You can waste your money if you want, buy we hope that you correctly track down those misfires. They may be tricky. How bad are the misfires? Can you feel the car shaking or the exhaust popping? Nether of those are normal.
.......... OMG!

So finally took it to a Honda master tech who opened his own shop and specializes in hondas... that re-ran the compression test:

180 / 180 / 180 / 120 ughhhhhhhhh!!!!

So next step they are doing additional wet compression or leak down test to actually determine if it's top end or bottom end that needs to be rebuilt. You guys we're right but at the price I paid for the car, depending on this set back I still got a good deal.

So impulse buy yes, yes previous seller ripped me off and yes I am angry but moving on with my life.

Now question I have for you experts... if it's top end am I looking at 2-3k and if bottom end, 4-5k?

Just trying to prepare myself accordingly. Need some advise ASAP before I kill this person that sold it to me.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:01 PM

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Man, sounds like you really wasted your money. The 2-4k it would take to get that engine running perfect could've been spent on a better s2000. If I were you I would destroy it and get insurance. Problems are just beginning. Yikes!
Old 12-19-2014, 03:07 PM

I bought a car 350 miles away, went to pick it up, still good. Paid for it, signed the paperwork. Went to load it on the trailer, started missing, and threw an engine light. Crap!! It was late, I was tired, and I had a long drive home. Screw it, I'll fix it later.

Got home, kinda late, but I popped the valve cover, everything looked good. I adjusted the valves, cleaned and gapped the plugs, reset the light. Ran perfect, and still does. I got lucky.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you bought the car within 6 hours of your first posting.. shooting anyone other then yourself would be a wasted effort, you'd end up shooting yourself in the foot , yet again, like ya seem to have done... my take, you ripped you off.. and I am sorry to read about it.. sucks when I do stuff and I see what I have done.. so I completely understand... we all do.. you saw the pretty shinny item and you had to have it..

you want help.. the first two guys said walk away from it.. sounds like help, didn't help...

you have far too many variables for anyone to make other then off-cuff remarks an guesses..

if it is now in the garage of an actual Honda mechanic, wish he was on this board so we could actually find out what's the deal.. hopefully he will let you know what it is he actually discovers.. and hopefully you'll translate it into something we can read... take a lot of pic's...

Old 12-19-2014, 06:09 PM

Thanks guys I've got my fingers crossed and hoping for the best...

It's only 1 cylinder and hoping it's just needs a valve adjustment... If that's the case, what's the cost roughly of valve adjustment???

And worst case what's the cost of replacing 1 valve or all?
Old 12-19-2014, 06:27 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

I am still thinking a valve adjustment and plugs are the way to go. $150-200 max

Quick Reply: About to purchase ap1 - quick questions