S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

About to purchase ap1 - quick questions

Old 11-29-2014, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to purchase ap1 - quick questions

Just test drove 2000 Honda S2000. We had a mechanic look it over real quick and after driving it all seems good.

We pulled the 4 CEL codes and from what I hear its the coil packs that need to be replaced. I am meeting back up with them to do a compression test but hoping you guys can view the ad and raise and concerns. The suspension is lowered on aftermarket springs and ride is a little bouncy but seems okay for most part. When accelerating really hard there's a some noise from rear suspension, sounds like something to do with drop. I plan on swapping the original springs back.

The 4 CEL codes are:

-P0300
-P0302
-P0303
-P0304

Link to car:

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/4775265049.html
Old 11-29-2014, 03:19 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I can't add any value apart from don't buy a car with cels, let alone four!
Old 11-29-2014, 05:46 PM
Community Organizer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by arsenal
I can't add any value apart from don't buy a car with cels, let alone four!
+1, and this car has a LOT of miles. Be wary, OP.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:08 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Black and red is quite rare, the CELs are concerning, but yeah new coil packs MAY clear things up. I think the thing I hate the most is the camber on the rear wheels, what the hell is that?!!
Old 11-29-2014, 06:52 PM

well it's a misfire. it needs to be diagnosed. misfires can be caused by all kinds of things, plugs, coils, injectors, electrical failure, mechanical failure, etc. without properly diagnosing the concern it's impossible to tell you what will fix it.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:16 PM

well I purchased the car lol --- have it in at pepboys now to get serviced on the CEL. They expect them to be cleared up after new coil packs so we'll see.

Negotiated a good price so I did have to accept some issues for this price + fact that it's 14 year old car with high miles. The compression test turned out near perfect and results were all within 10 of each other.

Need to get the security code from the cd player, anybody have a DIY guide on how to remove the OEM dash?
Old 11-29-2014, 09:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by edhgreatone
well I purchased the car lol --- have it in at pepboys now to get serviced on the CEL. They expect them to be cleared up after new coil packs so we'll see.

Negotiated a good price so I did have to accept some issues for this price + fact that it's 14 year old car with high miles. The compression test turned out near perfect and results were all within 10 of each other.

Need to get the security code from the cd player, anybody have a DIY guide on how to remove the OEM dash?
I've never seen 4 coils go bad at once to be honest. Pepboys is not where you should take it either. Hopefully it's a cheap fix but I would start with spark plugs. It's cheaper and step 1 before you jump Into coils but don't let them try and sell you everything under the hood to attempt a fix. Needs to be diagnosed not have parts thrown at it.

As far as the radio you could call Honda with the serial number or vin number and they can give you the code. On some hondas there is a way to trip the radio into giving the serial number of the radio on the screen without having to remove it all together.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:11 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

I am thinking the best place to start is with a valve adjustment and plugs. I second avoiding Pep Boys, look on your regional board for recommendations of good shops.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by edhgreatone

really, really, really doubt it's coil packs. you've probably just wasted 400$ on parts alone. get it out of pep-boys asap....they're like a jiffy lube that works on cars. i'd suggest doing the diagnostics yourself, or as already suggested, take it to a local guy that knows these cars.

sounds like you made an impulse decision...been there, done that. hopefully it won't cost you too much.

besides that, go through the stickies in this "under the hood" section, they're at the top of the page, and read, read, read. there is a wealth of info in there and some certain things you MUST know before you start driving your car heavily.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:05 PM

Hopefully PepBoys performed the compression test correctly and is not just giving you numbers because they assume that the engine is healthy (it's unethical but people do that). Anyways, it could be pretty daunting to track down misfires. Misfires could be based on anything, sparkplugs, Valves, low compression, piston rings, fuel injectors, coil packs, etc. You can waste your money if you want, buy we hope that you correctly track down those misfires. They may be tricky. How bad are the misfires? Can you feel the car shaking or the exhaust popping? Nether of those are normal.

Quick Reply: About to purchase ap1 - quick questions