S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Access to Differential Fill Bolt to Torque

Old 05-02-2016, 08:28 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

Originally Posted by flanders
As long as the crow foot sits at a 90 degree angle (like in my picture) it wont affect the effective torque applied.
...to any significant enough degree to really matter.

Of course it will have *some* effect. Just not enough to care about.

Sent from my SM-G920P using IB AutoGroup
Old 05-02-2016, 09:39 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

You can use the calculator linked above, it shows zero effect even if you put in a much longer crow foot.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:11 PM

You can use the calculator linked above, it shows zero effect even if you put in a much longer crow foot.
As a thought experiment, imagine an impossibly long crowfoot, like 5 feet long. Does that seem like it would have an effect, even if it were 90 degrees to the wrench shaft? I imagine it would. So why wouldn't a really short one, like a normal crowfoot, have *some* effect (proportional to the shorter length)? I expect it would, calculator not withstanding...

Old 05-02-2016, 03:06 PM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

There's only one reason not to use a properly calibrated torque wrench if you have one. If you need to use more than one extension or a universal joint. I trust my digital Snap-on 3/8ths with my life.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:12 PM

Received 121 Likes on 97 Posts

It's still only accurate with a certain range. I have one too and it's been recently calibrated.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:21 PM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
As a thought experiment, imagine an impossibly long crowfoot, like 5 feet long. Does that seem like it would have an effect, even if it were 90 degrees to the wrench shaft? I imagine it would. So why wouldn't a really short one, like a normal crowfoot, have *some* effect (proportional to the shorter length)? I expect it would, calculator not withstanding...

You sound like you were in my 2 years of calculus at college. However, the shape of the moment arm does not matter. A five foot crowfoot, or a S looking torque wrench does not matter to the basics of torque applied via force and length of moment arm. At 90 degrees, the desired torque on the center of the shaft to be torqued is still pretty much the same because the moment arm from the handle at the end of the torque wrench is identical to the handle to the center of the nut to be torqued.

This is almost enough to go buy a vintage crowsfoot set on eBay.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:18 AM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
You sound like you were in my 2 years of calculus at college. However, the shape of the moment arm does not matter. A five foot crowfoot, or a S looking torque wrench does not matter to the basics of torque applied via force and length of moment arm. At 90 degrees, the desired torque on the center of the shaft to be torqued is still pretty much the same because the moment arm from the handle at the end of the torque wrench is identical to the handle to the center of the nut to be torqued.

This is almost enough to go buy a vintage crowsfoot set on eBay.
Yup! 100% correct. Discounting any significant flexing within the length of the crowfoot or extension.

For angles other than 90º, check out calculator in part C, of link.

http://www.freeinfostuff.com/TorqueE...eExtension.htm
Old 05-03-2016, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by windhund116

Yup! 100% correct. Discounting any significant flexing within the length of the crowfoot or extension.

For angles other than 90º, check out calculator in part C, of link.

http://www.freeinfostuff.com/TorqueE...eExtension.htm
Thanks guys! Learned something new. I could never pay attention in any math (and often physics) classes because they were always so abstract. Then whenever they did try and make a real scenario it was always something ridiculously impractical, like 2 trains are traveling toward a city...

Old 07-01-2017, 04:22 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

What goes if you over torque the dif fill bolt? The bolt threads, or the dif housing threads? What is the fix if the housing threads are damaged by over torquing?
Old 07-01-2017, 04:33 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Diff housing threads will strip first since it's much softer than the steel bolt.
I guess you could drill it out and re-thread with timesert or helicoil but a "new" housing would probably be an easier fix.

Quick Reply: Access to Differential Fill Bolt to Torque