S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AEM Engine Management System (Q & A)

Old 01-24-2005, 03:20 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Tom,Jan 23 2005, 11:12 PM
Ok, now im going to ask my questions. Is there a base map for a vortech supercharged s2k? I only ask because there are basemaps for other hondas with SC's.

That being said, How would i best go about changing the base map (1012 v1.11) to run with a vortech and 650cc injectors? (the map I already have obviously doesnt work properly) I dont need power, or even economy, I only need to get the car safely to the tuner (50 or so miles away)

As of right now, the car turns on, runs very rough, then dies. if you give it some gas, it stays running, but sounds really bad. my untrained ear tells me it sounds like the timing is WAY off, but thats just a shot in the dark, right now im just guessing.
!DO NOT ATTEMPT RUNNING YOUR CAR ANYMORE!

It sounds like you haven't corrected the AEM base map for your injectors yet. That's important, but there are other setup issues to deal with first. There are some excellent posts on here about it if you search. I can also help you out with some of it.

There are no supercharged maps out that I know of. I may have some boosted maps that would work for you though (as a VERY rough base- do not even try coming close to WOT on them!!!), or at least some 650cc maps. What I talk about below is how I came to them. You need to follow AEM's setup procedures for all sensors and then you will have to modify the fuel and timing maps.

Is your kit installed yet? Did you use any of the split second electronics that come with the Vortech kit? If you did, remove them now- the AEM will replace them. For the 650's, use the fuel injector conversion tool (it asks for the old injector size (use 360) and the new injector size. You should be able to find details about changing injectors in the AEM manuals. It's very easy to do. I used battery injector offset values halfway between those for 550's and 650's. Once you have changed your fuel table for the 650's and the offset table for them, it should start and idle much better. You also need to get a timing light and check your actual timing versus what the AEM says your timing is. A cheap $20 light will do this. Also, set your min and max TPS while you're at it. With the tables changed for the 650's, the TPS setup, and the timing checked and set, it should run much better. At this point, DO NOT BOOST YET!!! Your car should start and run, but it is by no means safe. Consider reducing timing by 1-2 degrees across the board. Move the load breakpoints so that max is 11-12 psi (whatever the stock sensor max is). Interpolate the fueling and ignition so that it mimics the AEM map over the NA part and then interpolate them up. For timing, try reducing timing 0.5-1 degree per pound of boost. This should be fairly safe to get you to your tuner, but you will need to take it easy and watch both knock and a/f ratio. If you do not feel comfortable with any of this, consider towing your car there.

The forums at www.aempower.com are great also.

If you want any of my maps, PM me and I can send them to you. You may be able to convert to a boost comp map MUCH easier than actually trying to adjust your current map to get you safely to your tuner. Good luck!

Tim
Old 01-24-2005, 04:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Tom,Jan 24 2005, 03:42 PM

As of right now, the car turns on, runs very rough, then dies. if you give it some gas, it stays running, but sounds really bad. my untrained ear tells me it sounds like the timing is WAY off, but thats just a shot in the dark, right now im just guessing.
it sounds like you are running rich
pull the plugs out and read it

do you have a wideband? if you don't, leave all of your tuning to the pro
Old 01-25-2005, 12:59 PM

Yes, the wideband 02 is in the car.

The piggyback ECU's and all that jazz have been pulled off before the AEM was installed.

After trying a map given to us by the tuner, he said it would work with a vortech and 650cc injectors, if for nothing more than to get the engine to turn over and idle. It didnt work.

Changed the plugs, they were fouled. Still didnt work.

Put the stock injectors back in, stock ECU back in (no piggyback ECU's) and the car started and idled.

Put the EMS with the AEM startup calibration and stock injectors, didnt work.

Took the EMS to AEM's office, they looked at it and said it works perfectly.

Every time we try to start the car with the EMS, it starts, then dies instanly. Ive posted in the AEM forums, and I'm getting answers that confuse me. Several people have told me to check the timing. How do I check the timing with the engine not running? (edited to say this last sentance was obviously a smartass comment, not to be taken seriously, but if you can help me check the timing, by all means let me know)

Would it be wise to bypass the supercharger while attempting to get the car to turn over? moving the aftercooler aside and putting a filter over the throttle body would make me feel much safer when moving into uncharted territory.

We have already tried many different things with the injectors, until the car starts and runs (idles) with the EMS, the stock injectors are going to stay in.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:16 PM

Wow, I didn't realize this thread was still around. With the email notification not working, it's hard for me to keep up. If you guys have any questions I can answer, please let me know...I'll try to keep track of this thread. Also feel free to email me at sean@torquefreaks.com if you have any questions that would be better suited for email. Thanks!!
Old 02-14-2005, 07:17 PM

On a side note, I'll be in Europe for a couple weeks starting on February 22nd. If any of you guys would like some tuning while I'm there, please email me as soon as possible at sean@torquefreaks.com. Thanks!
Old 05-16-2005, 04:02 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, it's time for me to bite the bullet... again. I had purchased a used unit and then offed my car at the track. This time I'm going ot buy new from you guys. Sales folks work on commission, so do I ask for Chris?

Oh, and I'll be needing the works. :looksinsoontobeemptywallet:
Old 04-15-2006, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by cbender,Dec 30 2003, 05:12 PM
Hi Vapors. We're talking about the inability of the EMS to operate the temperature "gauge" on the dash. The EMS has (i) no problems reading the raw input voltages from the coolant temperature sensor (but, per my earlier email, the voltage table that comes with the EMS S2K maps are NOT correct and thus the EMS is reporting incorrect coolant temps) and (ii) no problems reading or using the input voltages from the air intake temperature sensor (so you need NOT worry about the values when tuning, as they will be correct).

CB
Anyone know if this issue with the temperature gage has been corrected yet, and if so how?
Old 04-15-2006, 07:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From the AEM side, I don't think it has. Modifry has a "box" that fixes it.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:52 AM

Ther has been a fix made, not perfect and I haven't tried it but people seem to say it works. Otherwise just stick with the modifry unit. For 100 bucks it's not bad for a 1,000 dollar piece of equipment.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=320929

http://www.modifry.com/products/index.htm

As far as the EMS tuned on an NA car here are my results. I picked up 6 hp up top and 17 hp at 7k rpm. I also averaged 8 hp in all other areas of the map. Along with that I think the AEM ECU is much faster at responding to throttle changes so along with the added power the throttle response is also increased dramaticlly. Probably has to do with not as many sensors being read and all based on two simple maps.

Amazing difference in drivability.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s2krev,Apr 15 2006, 05:52 PM
Ther has been a fix made, not perfect and I haven't tried it but people seem to say it works. Otherwise just stick with the modifry unit. For 100 bucks it's not bad for a 1,000 dollar piece of equipment.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=320929

http://www.modifry.com/products/index.htm

As far as the EMS tuned on an NA car here are my results. I picked up 6 hp up top and 17 hp at 7k rpm. I also averaged 8 hp in all other areas of the map. Along with that I think the AEM ECU is much faster at responding to throttle changes so along with the added power the throttle response is also increased dramaticlly. Probably has to do with not as many sensors being read and all based on two simple maps.

Amazing difference in drivability.
which are your mods?

Quick Reply: AEM Engine Management System (Q & A)