S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

All Cylinders MisFire, Not Starting HELP

Old 04-19-2014, 08:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default All Cylinders MisFire, Not Starting HELP

So... I was driving and I was going to get onto a main highway from an access road, I was in 3rd, I was hauling ass in order to get in front of this guy who was already on the highway (going from like 45-70) and when I hit around 70 mph I went to shift into 4th... well... I didn't... I shifted into 2nd.. and caused a big ruckus. Nothing happened, I went into 6th gear to continue my drive... then about 10 minutes pass by of driving and all of a sudden... I lose power and engine is bogging like crazy. I take the next exit while the engine is off and i'm idling and get to a hazard zone, where a guy in a truck found me and towed me to a gas station. The car would not start, and would just make a weird noise (Video Below). This actually happened yesterday too, same situation, mis-shifted, then down the road car stopped working, and when that happened it only pulled a cylinder 4 misfire on the CEL, but the thing is, after about 10 minutes of waiting, it started again and ran perfectly normal. but not this time.

It happened around 1 PM, I sat trying to get the car to start for hours. I even had someone take me to the nearest Autozone to buy spark plugs because I was getting desperate, and for some reason had hope that it could be them because they weren't in good condition when I inspected them and I don't have the money to get it fixed if it's something major, but it looks like that's my only option now.

After a few hours of trying to do small things to fix it, I just sat there with the ignition button pressed letting it whine and I could start to hear the car trying to start.. one or two poofs (exhaust sounds) every now and then. So when I would hear those poofs, i'd press on the gas, but only when the poofs were consistent. When I did this, it made my RPM's shoot up and the car started.... I wouldn't really say it "Started" though because it was just bogging and really really rough and shaking and if I let off the gas, the car would shut off. There was no idle. If it went below 1000 RPMs, the car was off. But I was able to drive it, it would be all boggy one moment then all of a sudden, it drove smooth, until I had to come to a stop, and start again then it was all boggy again, and seemed worse. (Mind you, I had to keep pressure on the gas the entire time, you have no idea how hard it is to brake while keeping your RPMs above 1000...) I drove it to the nearest AutoZone just to check the code it was giving me. This time it was all 4 cylinders misfire. Random Cylinder misfire in Any cylinder. The car would no longer start once I got it there. Simply would not let me turn it on at all. So now i'm stuck. My car is sitting 40 minutes away from where i'm currently at (home) and I need some answers without blowing a ton of money.

Thank you in advance for your concern and all help is appreciated. I've had a lot of great people help me out today but none really had any idea to what it actually is so i'm turning to you guys for advice.

VIDEO: [media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWDM-nJiZGc[/media]

----------------------------

UPDATE:
Well... the worst of the worst has happened.
Rods are bent, pistons tore up, valves cracked...
Getting a new remanufactured engine to replace it for $5800
Old 04-19-2014, 08:18 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

more than likely cracked retainers and or bent valves.
Get a shop to do a leak down test and inspect those parts
what yr is your s2000???
Old 04-19-2014, 08:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
more than likely cracked retainers and or bent valves.
Get a shop to do a leak down test and inspect those parts
what yr is your s2000???

2002 good sir, i'm getting it to a shop tomorrow to have it checked out.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:31 AM

Received 1,317 Likes on 798 Posts

Sounds like bent exhaust valves by the way it cranks. Expect broken retainers to be a part of that.