S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Anti Sway Bars

Old 07-08-2004, 06:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anti Sway Bars

Search is down, that's why am writting this up instead of looking for the info myself.
First- anti sway bars are the same thing as torsion bars?

What are the best front and rear sway bars out there for my '01?

From what I've read, this could be a cure for my rear end roll at sharpturns, right?

Thanks.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:32 AM

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

The 30-32mm Front bars should help to keep the rear stable. This also goes along with a better alignment, they work hand and hand.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alfredo,Jul 8 2004, 10:43 AM
Search is down, that's why am writting this up instead of looking for the info myself.
First- anti sway bars are the same thing as torsion bars?

What are the best front and rear sway bars out there for my '01?

From what I've read, this could be a cure for my rear end roll at sharpturns, right?

Thanks.
Sway bars and torsion bars are different although they use the same principle - a rod of metal being twisted. The swaybar goes side-to-side and resists body roll. A torsion bar is usually used as the spring for a wheel, resisting up-and-down movement.

The "best" bar is open to interpretation. Visit the FAQs in the Racing and Competition forum for more details. Depending on your usage, you can go with anything from a mild upgrade such as the Muz/Whiteline bar to the Saner, Gendron or Comptech adjustable bars for autocross. If you're interested in only street use, the Muz bar will help at a low cost. Autocrossing on R-compound tires needs a much stiffer bar since the tire size choices aren't optimal - the rears lack the extra width found on the stock tires. You also need to keep body roll down to keep the inside rear tire firmly planted on the ground so you don't get wheelspin with just that one wheel (it's a Torsen-type diff which acts like an open diff when unloaded).

That's the technical part. Most people who aren't competitively racing their cars don't figure out the handling characteristics of the S until they're over their heads ("inappropriate rotation at the point of diminishing talent"). You can make this car plow like a pig and spin on a dime depending on how you enter the turn and how you apply power and steering while in the turn. Will a swaybar "fix" your oversteer? Maybe but it may actually be better/safer/faster to learn WHY the car is doing that and how to manage it. You can spend an awful lot of money without fixing a thing. Visit a driver's school, whether for autocross or track...
Old 07-09-2004, 02:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dezoris,Jul 8 2004, 12:32 PM
The 30-32mm Front bars should help to keep the rear stable. This also goes along with a better alignment, they work hand and hand.
Would the alignment be the factory alignment specs or special ones?