S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AP1 AC compressor

Old 02-18-2019, 05:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AP1 AC compressor

Today my ac stopped blowing cold. The air coming out of the vents was hotter than the ambient outside temp. When I switch the ac button on the air compressor begins to make a grinding sound. Whats the best way to go about diagnosing the rattle and lack of cold air? Do I just go ahead and buy a whole new compressor or should I pull it out and check the compressor clutch and pulley? I live in Florida so it's already getting very warm and humid again. So i need to solve this pretty quick.
Thanks,
Ben
Old 02-19-2019, 02:33 AM

Received 416 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Benji ap1
Today my ac stopped blowing cold. The air coming out of the vents was hotter than the ambient outside temp. When I switch the ac button on the air compressor begins to make a grinding sound. Whats the best way to go about diagnosing the rattle and lack of cold air? Do I just go ahead and buy a whole new compressor or should I pull it out and check the compressor clutch and pulley? I live in Florida so it's already getting very warm and humid again. So i need to solve this pretty quick.
Thanks,
Ben
Not only do you need a new compressor, you'll need a new low pressure line(its softer than the high pressure one and metal shards can easily cause a leak. When the compressor grinds itself to smithereens as yours did, you also need to clean the condenser as well. Use acetone and then air dry it. You'll also need a new drier and expansion valve. You can order these on ebay, or whatever, they're pretty standard parts. Also a 134r o ring kit.

For the cost of a vacuum pump and a good manifold gauge you can pay a shop to evacuate the A/C. Then you can do the work yourself(its pretty straight forward), and have them charge the system. These cars use PAG 46 oil.

Most of the compressors that grenade themselves have been topped off more than once. The cars are old, the driers don't work as well as they used to. By topping off the system twice or more without adding oil also makes life harder for the compressor. It becomes a double whammy, the drier can't pull moisture so the moisture turns the refrigerant and any remaining oil acidic, which eats the compressor from the inside. And it doesn't have enough oil, so it grinds itself ded.

PM me if you have any questions like how to replace the expansion valve.

Do not buy an aftermarket or remanned compressor, OEM or bust. Used is ok, I have a used compressor I bought here off a kind user for $120, 4 years later still rocking.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:51 AM

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

has the OP ruled out the clutch being the culprit?
Old 02-19-2019, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Not only do you need a new compressor, you'll need a new low pressure line(its softer than the high pressure one and metal shards can easily cause a leak. When the compressor grinds itself to smithereens as yours did, you also need to clean the condenser as well. Use acetone and then air dry it. You'll also need a new drier and expansion valve. You can order these on ebay, or whatever, they're pretty standard parts. Also a 134r o ring kit.

For the cost of a vacuum pump and a good manifold gauge you can pay a shop to evacuate the A/C. Then you can do the work yourself(its pretty straight forward), and have them charge the system. These cars use PAG 46 oil.

Most of the compressors that grenade themselves have been topped off more than once. The cars are old, the driers don't work as well as they used to. By topping off the system twice or more without adding oil also makes life harder for the compressor. It becomes a double whammy, the drier can't pull moisture so the moisture turns the refrigerant and any remaining oil acidic, which eats the compressor from the inside. And it doesn't have enough oil, so it grinds itself ded.

PM me if you have any questions like how to replace the expansion valve.

Do not buy an aftermarket or remanned compressor, OEM or bust. Used is ok, I have a used compressor I bought here off a kind user for $120, 4 years later still rocking.
thank you I'll post about the results when I finish it.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by starchland
No I haven't checked the clutch yet
Old 02-19-2019, 10:22 AM

Received 416 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by starchland
"When I switch the ac button on the air compressor begins to make a grinding sound."

That pretty much rules out the clutch, IMO, of course I could be wrong.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:14 PM

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
"When I switch the ac button on the air compressor begins to make a grinding sound."

That pretty much rules out the clutch, IMO, of course I could be wrong.
True, but grinding noise could be coming from excessive clutch play