S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AP1 rotational noise culprit

Old 12-28-2012, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AP1 rotational noise culprit

I think I read through about a hundred pages last night on the issue on here hoping that it was a wheel bearing and read through the old transmission bearing thread. The noise it's making is a rotational noise that's linked to the wheel speed. It makes it as the car begins rolling and gets progressively louder as you increase speed. When putting the car into neutral and coasting to a stop, it still make it until you come to about >3-5mph. That's why I *thought* it was a wheel bearing, but the transmission thread got me worrying and I took it to a transmission shop today that I've used alot for a few cars. I drove with the dude there and we put it on the lift and started playing with some stuff. It turns out that it is the Output Shaft Bearing in my car. He had like a stethascope type deal to listen in and the noise is only coming from the back of the tranny. So, we should be able to take out the driveshaft and back of the tranny and leave it in the car. This way, it'll be about half as expensive then if they had to pull the whole thing. The car is a 2000 with like 83k miles, and I just bought it like a week or so ago. Fluid looked good and was full. I'm still worried about what they mentioned in the transmission thread about the tranny's oil pump not putting out enough psi's and how it was recalled in Europe, but not in the US.

Did anyone ever manage to find the part number for the replacement pieces to fix this issue with the tranny oil pump? I'm not real sure if this was a contributing factor to the bearing going, since it's around that golden tuneup number, lol. But peace of mind is worth the extra few bucks. Just figured I'd post this up and add another facet to this problem and maybe help out someone who's having the same noise. I may try to make a video, but I'm not sure if the noise will pick up with my iPhone or not. If someone really wants one, I'll try. But it's like a Whoa-whoa-whoa-whoa-whoa noise that oscilates with the wheel spin. If you got it, go to your local transmission shop or s2k Guru.