S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AP1 Torque Sensor Replacement

Old 04-07-2017, 12:54 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default AP1 Torque Sensor Replacement

I've been having power steering issues for a while. The car is an '01 with about 93K miles. My first fix was to replace the EPS module. Even after a set, the problem persists.

Most of the problem seems to be when the engine is cold. The steering wheel sometimes violently shudders and until the car warms up, some steering input feels as if there is no power steering.

I'm I'm going to explore replacing the torque converter. I've never worked in steering systems before. What is involved in replacing that component? I change my own Fluids and filters, can do a valve adjustment, yet haven't ever needed to get into a part like this before.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm having the same issue with my '00.

If I understand correctly, the torque sensor is no longer available.

There's a thread here where someone said they cleaned and re-greased it with good results (iirc, he didn't give many details).
Old 04-07-2017, 01:16 PM

i heard that an early AP2 torque sensor will work in an AP1. I found a "new" AP1 torque sensor on Amazon, yet it has been 2 months, and it hasn't shipped yet.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:28 PM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

Pretty straightforward, put the steering wheel dead ahead, mark the coupler, then disconnect it. Remove the electrical connection to the torque sensor, then undo two pain in the ass bolts 10 or 12mm can't remember. The top one isn't too bad, the bottom one is tricky to get at from the top but doable, although much easier from under the car, but still tricky. Grease up the O-ring and the gear at the end, being careful not to let stuff fall into the rack.

On the shaft of the torque sensor is an alphabetical marking that has to align with the screw gear on the rack itself, that's that big nut on the rack. Jam it in there with the mark aligned with the screw gear, tighten the bolts 14ft lbs IIRC, hook up the electrical connection along with the coupler exactly as you removed it. Do the steering learn procedure, and pray.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:52 PM

Thanks. I'll study the Service Manual and these instructions. If I don't have enough room on my jackstands, there is a rent-a-lift place near my house. What kind of grease should I use on the O-ring and gears?
Old 04-07-2017, 08:47 PM

Any general purpose grease, some white lithium paste, assembly lube, the pink/red stuff they sell at the auto parts store.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:35 PM

Hey I finally got a used torque sensor and went to install today (car is Right Hand Drive) so it was pretty easy to get to from the top of the engine bay. I undid the two TS bolts and loosened up the bolts on the steering coupler that holds the top pinion of the TS. So all the bolts are loosened including the lock nut by the TS and I was able to pull the TS from the steering gearbox BUT I AM NOT ABLE to remove the torque sensor completely. The steering coupler/joint seems to stop the TS from being removed fully.

IS there something else I need to remove or loosen the rack to pull the TS out ?
Old 04-15-2017, 08:51 AM

Did you remove the coupler from the TS shaft before yanking it out of the rack?
Old 04-15-2017, 11:01 AM

I took out the bolts that hold the steering joint to the TS Shaft... but can't 'remove it' as it won't push past either the steering column or TS spline. I assume by coupler, you are referring to the joint that connects the engine bay portion of the column and the TS shaft ?

It slides up and down the spline but cannot be pulled off... Dunno if I need to disconnect the joint under the dash also ? Haven''t read about anyone having to do that.

Last edited by X2board; 04-15-2017 at 11:03 AM.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:18 PM

I didn't, I just pulled back the coupler with the TS connected to the rack, then pulled the TS from the rack. There's not a lot of room, it shouldn't be terribly different left vs right hand drive.

Quick Reply: AP1 Torque Sensor Replacement