S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AP1 Torque Sensor Replacement

Old 04-15-2017, 06:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you pulled the coupler back... did it come off the TS pinion ? On my setup, it doesn't come off the pinion... the middle portion of the coupler joint makes contact with the steering wheel end of the rod and doesn't allow the coupler to slide any further up... the TS pinion/splined end still has about 1/4" into the joint. (I feel this space difference may be the RH vs LH issue ?)

The TS also is holding in there...maybe I need to turn the wheel a bit to get the TS to work it's way out of the rack as I can't twist is by hand. ugh...
Old 01-17-2018, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody know if the RHD torque sensor is the same as the LHD? I can get my hands on a RHD rack for an AP1 but not a LHD rack. All I need is the torque sensor as mine appears to be malfunctioning. Any help is appreciated.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:09 AM

Received 403 Likes on 338 Posts

PM me if you already tried to regrease yours. I bought a spare one as my power steering was acting up in the cold. I took it out sprayed wd40 in the bearing to clean out the dirt and old grease. Then I packed in new general purpose grease, and it seems to have done the trick. I also got a replacement torque sensor just in case, but since cleaning mine did the trick, you can PM me about my spare one. Although I suggest you try cleaning yours 1st.

The tq sensor has 4 wipers 90 degrees appart on the shaft and the electrical bit is a potentiometer. If there's too much gunk in the bearing one or more wipers will likely be dirty and won't send a clean signal to the potentiometer. In other words the dirt will mask the movement of the wiper and then it starts behaving weird.
The following users liked this post:
MKM S2K (01-18-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 07:10 AM

I don't think I have the proper forum permission to PM you. I keep getting this message when trying to access my profile or your's:
MKM S2K, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
  1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
At any rate yes I did follow that set of instructions and after a few days it has yet to make any kind of difference. I would be extremely appreciative if you'd sell me your spare torque sensor. That would be huge. My email is ej255wrxx@gmail.com. If you don't mind contacting me there we can figure out the details. Thanks a bunch.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This seems to be a very common issue with no real solution. No one rebuilds them and putting a used one on does not make much sense to me, at best it buys you a little time before it starts doing the same thing. I have seen posts that speculated that the AP2 version may work on the AP1. Has anyone tried and confirm one way or the other whether an AP2 torque sensor will work on an AP1? I am having the same issue and will need to do something about it.

Chris
Old 04-17-2018, 06:33 AM

I am looking to buy an S2000, I found one I liked but it has a power steering problem where it loses power steering when turning right. I talked to a trusted Honda mechanic and he said that he has never seen a torque sensor fail, and instead he would first look at the ECU. I do trust him, I am just wondering if others have replaced the ECU and found this to work on their car?

Thanks,
Old 04-17-2018, 06:38 AM

I ended up replacing my torque sensor with the sensor from an AP2. It fits in the rack exactly the same as the one from the AP1. Apparently the AP2 sensor is just a redesigned part and does not have the same issue as the AP1's sensor. What year is the S2000 you're looking at?
Old 04-17-2018, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by MKM S2K
I ended up replacing my torque sensor with the sensor from an AP2. It fits in the rack exactly the same as the one from the AP1. Apparently the AP2 sensor is just a redesigned part and does not have the same issue as the AP1's sensor. What year is the S2000 you're looking at?
MY02
Old 04-17-2018, 07:00 AM

Same year as mine. I bought part number 53101-S2A-A03 from a website and installed it. Fixed my problem. The one I bought was new for ~$350. Here's a link (for sale at $372): https://www.alldiscountparts.com/oem...ue-53101s2aa03 . You can probably find a cheaper one used on ebay or at a pick n pull if you're lucky. Or you can clean and grease the "broken" part for free and see if that fixes the issue. Other people have had good luck with that. I didn't but it could be I didn't clean it thoroughly enough or I'm just one of the unlucky ones with a part that was actually broken. I'd offer you my old one but I have yet to try it since replacing and cleaning it a 2nd time so there's no telling if it will work or not.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MKM S2K
Same year as mine. I bought part number 53101-S2A-A03 from a website and installed it. Fixed my problem. The one I bought was new for ~$350. Here's a link (for sale at $372): https://www.alldiscountparts.com/oem...ue-53101s2aa03 . You can probably find a cheaper one used on ebay or at a pick n pull if you're lucky. Or you can clean and grease the "broken" part for free and see if that fixes the issue. Other people have had good luck with that. I didn't but it could be I didn't clean it thoroughly enough or I'm just one of the unlucky ones with a part that was actually broken. I'd offer you my old one but I have yet to try it since replacing and cleaning it a 2nd time so there's no telling if it will work or not.
Good to know. Mine is acting up and the re-grease did not help. I am going to need to replace it before long.

Quick Reply: AP1 Torque Sensor Replacement