S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AP2 Transmission Rebuilt, notchy gears when cold

Old 08-28-2018, 05:37 AM

Received 187 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by flanders
I hope you meant transmission, because that one^ should definitely not be used in the differential.
I hope so too
Old 08-30-2018, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today I experienced something. When I press the clutch pedal, lets say, when I press just passed the friction point but not down to the floor, the gear engages themselves easier. I'm just trying to figure why. I told you I measure the crank endplay but while the transmission was bolted to the engine. I had around 0.010-0.012 ''. It might be more if the crank stops because the input shaft is backed off and leaned against the transmission housing. I'm off this week, I'll just try to unbolt the tranny and measure exactly the endplay. I've got a feeling that when I press the clutch to the floor, I add more tension on the crank and the clutch might slip a little tinny bit against the flywheel causing that irritating feel because its not fully disengaged. What do you think ?
Old 08-30-2018, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by thonyz
Today I experienced something. When I press the clutch pedal, lets say, when I press just passed the friction point but not down to the floor, the gear engages themselves easier. I'm just trying to figure why. I told you I measure the crank endplay but while the transmission was bolted to the engine. I had around 0.010-0.012 ''. It might be more if the crank stops because the input shaft is backed off and leaned against the transmission housing. I'm off this week, I'll just try to unbolt the tranny and measure exactly the endplay. I've got a feeling that when I press the clutch to the floor, I add more tension on the crank and the clutch might slip a little tinny bit against the flywheel causing that irritating feel because its not fully disengaged. What do you think ?
I think it's hard to diagnose correctly over the Net but you may be on to something here.
Old 08-31-2018, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I know, even in person this trouble is hard to diagnose...
Old 09-02-2018, 06:41 AM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

I don't get it. Why would excessive pressure on the crank cause the clutch disk to brush up against the flywheel (or cause any issues with the clutch assembly)?
Old 09-02-2018, 07:04 AM

Received 277 Likes on 200 Posts

no matter what oil you use, give this one a try:

https://shop.liqui-moly.de/additive/...l-additiv.html

or this one:

https://shop.liqui-moly.de/additive/cera-tec.html

Makes shifting really much better and smother.

To solve problems with shifting when the gearbox is cold, lower the Viscositiy of the gear oil, just try a 75W.

Last edited by Mr.Matchbox; 09-02-2018 at 07:07 AM.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:23 AM

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts

Try Syntrans B if you don't mind swapping oil again.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.Matchbox

or this one:

To solve problems with shifting when the gearbox is cold, lower the Viscositiy of the gear oil, just try a 75W.
Liqui Moly makes good oil and additives. I found that Honda MTFIII (3) makes the gearbox shift really easily and doesn't require any additives. It may not last as long or hold up as long under hard track driving conditions though
Old 09-23-2019, 04:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr.Matchbox

or this one:

My transmission is a bit notchy as well sometimes and I think I have seen you (or another member) promoting the Liqui moly gearbox additive before.

I added some Liqui oil additive to the engine oil after swap and I must say the engine feels good or better. Or its due to the oil swap to Shell Helix ultra 5w40. Coming from Valvoline 5w40.

Anyway im considering the gearbox additive. Are you recommending from personal experience and use? Or purely from knowing the marketed product?

Also if you have used it. Did you add 1 or 2 tubes of 20grams to the gearbox?

And is there any downside for the transmission? Its an ap1 90k miles.

Thanks!
Old 09-24-2019, 09:23 PM

Received 277 Likes on 200 Posts

I recommend it from personal use. When i bouhgt my S2000, the gearbox was extremly notchy, shifting into 3. gear creates a "recoil" like firing a 9 mm Pistol and selecting the gears was extremly diffcult, it feelt like the shifter stick in old cheewing gum.

First Try: Ravenol MTF II 75w-80 with one tube of LM Gear additiv: Much better, but still very notchy.

Second try: Re-grease the Shifter: MUCH better, selecting the Gear was much easier and more precise. A really rewarding and recomended work.

Third try: Ravenol MTF II 75w-80 with a good dose of Liqui Moly Ceratec: Even Better, but still a little bit notchy. Big Problem was, it grinds heavily when i shift in 5. Gear at High RPM / high speeds. Nobody ever want to hear this sound. Clearrly, i have overdoesd it, this makes the oil to slippery for 5. gear to synchronise properly.

Fourth Try: Rowe 75w-80 plus one tube of Liquy moly gear additiv: Perfect in eavery gear. No more notchiness, but still a very fine "Mechnical - Synchros at Work" feeling on the shifter. I will stay with this.

This is my personal expirience. My long-time expirience with all this additives is: They work, but sometines less is more. 1 Tube of the LM gear additive is enough. I have done this within the first 6000 Miles / 10000 Km since i owned the car, it was worth the work and i have wasted very little money with this experiment.

Try it, i am sure you will not regret it. If it dont work for you, i appologize, but you only have wasted two liters of gear oil and you could change back to a different oil in no time. I think it is worth the experiment.

Last edited by Mr.Matchbox; 09-24-2019 at 09:25 PM.