S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Attn: cdelena Ti Brake components

Old 03-07-2001, 03:10 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The calipers would be made of the same material as the rotors for bulk in total material used to help keep costs down.

The calipers are to be redesigned to allow a larger rotor but still use stock wheels and mounting locations. I have put an option into the calipers to be oil cooled and have a heat sink type of surface. They will accept the stock pads, pistons, and brakelines.

The rotors will have the same dimentions as stock, but will be overcast to approx 13.5 inches in case they can be used in a larger setup. The stock rotors weigh in at about 15 lbs. the goal is 6 for the 12.4" rotor.

Total unsprung weight savings will be upwards of 40lbs and the front rotors will have a relatively low moment of inertia.

It is literally on the "drawing board" and the cost of a prototype is close to 5,000 buckaroos.

I hope I can get them done and tested by mid-summer.
Old 03-07-2001, 03:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not cdelena, but WOW!
Old 03-07-2001, 11:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, Mr. Brake fetish.

Might want to put a hold on to that project and check out ATS of Japan for newly developed carbon brake system.
For S2000 application, the president said it will be available sometime in April.
Same type of extremely expensive carbon brake system only reserved for race cars will be available to you.
Check it out, or ask Mr. Giampiero. I was in contact with him about this brake system.

Weight saving may be even more.
Old 03-07-2001, 12:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure about the properties of heat collection and dissipation with Ti, but with Carbon/Carbon setups - if that is what 1RandyC is referring to - its quite a 'race-only' application. To the best of my knowledge (not empirical) these rotors will not stop you in city driving. They are made to be used on high speed courses where they can be heated up before use.
Old 03-07-2001, 02:53 PM

I have caught alot of flack for going with Ti, But its not pure Ti, it actually may be a Ti/ceramic material. But none the less, they will be very light and perform much the same as the standard rotors. The alloy will be suitable for the track.

Besides the carbon ones will prolly cost the same or more, and thats after R+D. Im trying for 2k a full set, or much less for a drop-in rotor. And this project is going slowly anyhow

Where is UL I see he's asking about something just like this. . .

[Edited by cmnsnse on 03-07-2001 at 04:17 PM]
Old 03-07-2001, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 1Randyc
[B]Hey, Mr. Brake fetish.

Might want to put a hold on to that project and check out ATS of Japan for newly developed carbon brake system.
For S2000 application, the president said it will be available sometime in April.
Same type of extremely expensive carbon brake system only reserved for race cars will be available to you.
Check it out, or ask Mr. Giampiero.
Old 03-08-2001, 05:04 AM

Actually I think Porsche utilizes a ceramic composite material for the TT- and GT2-brakes. You will hardly notice any difference compared to stock braking performance with the ceramic rotors - except maybe for a slightly quicker response of the brakes - unless you run on slicks (which is forbidden by the manual for the TT and would void your warranty ). On the other hand these rotors are claimed to last forever (~ 180000 miles ) and you save about 45lbs in unsprung weight compared to the regular TT brakes.
Maybe someone can create brakes for our Stooks that are made of a similar material. I am certainly interested .

Old 03-08-2001, 05:21 AM

More specifically what I can get is a Ti/Creamic metal matrix, prolly just about the same stuff.

I hadnt gone any quicker on these because Im not sure of the interest.

Cost vs Demand
Old 03-08-2001, 07:48 AM

From what I have heard, there's really not MUCH to gain from any of the exotic materials being used now for rotors except weight (and longevity in the case of ceramic). During the Grand Prix of Australia, the announcers and drivers were saying that a lot of the drivers don't like the carbon/carbon brakes because they are not at all progressive. They're basically on or off. Either you're slamming on them, or they don't do anything. Anyway, I haven't personally used them, so I don't know, but that's what they said.
Old 03-08-2001, 01:45 PM

Originally posted by cmnsnse
More specifically what I can get is a Ti/Creamic metal matrix, prolly just about the same stuff.

I hadnt gone any quicker on these because Im not sure of the interest.

Cost vs Demand
just so that you know, i'll support an owner designed product anytime over retail, and i'm waiting for words on your project.

Quick Reply: Attn: cdelena Ti Brake components