S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Basic maintenance...

Old 06-01-2019, 04:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Basic maintenance...

Previous S2K owner looking at purchasing a nice low mileage 08. The seller has owned it since new and regularly takes it to a local import shop for oil change. Still has the original tires (<25k miles) and has replaced the battery twice. Other than that, nothing! I'm floored that an import shop wouldn't even adhere to the basics in the manual such as rear diff fluid, coolant, brake fluid, MTF, clutch fluid, air filter, cabin air filter, etc. Such an easy money maker for them.

While I'm not shy, in fact I relish the opportunity to get her up to speed, would anyone be leary buying an 11 year old S2000 with low miles without these basics done?

TIA.
Old 06-01-2019, 04:31 AM

Received 613 Likes on 420 Posts

Nope! Buy it
Old 06-01-2019, 04:43 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Nope. Buy it. Replace fluids, Replace tires. Enjoy.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:28 AM
Bri

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

I agree with the two responses above. Buy it and change the fluids.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:04 AM

Received 1,553 Likes on 922 Posts

Lots of threads on what to do to establish a maintenance "baseline". If you are in the NY area you can have Billman do his special. However it is not really that difficult to do some things yourself. Beside all the fluids (including the swap out over time with the clutch fluid and brake bleed) you can check the torque on the rear axle nuts and since this is a DBW throttle, you should check the valves.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:47 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Definitely check and adjust the valves as soon as you can. Sounds like a nice car.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:41 AM

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by pwrful4
Previous S2K owner looking at purchasing a nice low mileage 08. The seller has owned it since new and regularly takes it to a local import shop for oil change. Still has the original tires (<25k miles) and has replaced the battery twice. Other than that, nothing! I'm floored that an import shop wouldn't even adhere to the basics in the manual such as rear diff fluid, coolant, brake fluid, MTF, clutch fluid, air filter, cabin air filter, etc. Such an easy money maker for them.

While I'm not shy, in fact I relish the opportunity to get her up to speed, would anyone be leary buying an 11 year old S2000 with low miles without these basics done?

TIA.

How about don't buy it but pm me with where it is at?
Old 06-02-2019, 01:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pwrful4

TIA.
Sweet, nice find. So are you planning to do all the Basic maintenance? Seems it is wortwhile and also uncover potential issues when being worked on.

Let's see the pics when you pick up the ride.
Old 06-02-2019, 02:51 PM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Jggysk2
Let's see the pics when you pick up the ride.
The same goes for you of course.
The following users liked this post:
99MCoupe (06-05-2019)
Old 06-02-2019, 04:17 PM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

The 2006 and later cars have the Maintenance Minder in the dash electronics and it will light up when maintenance is required. There is no other schedule. A very low mileage/time car will only have a few of these and unless cleared start indicating negative mileage and other nags on the dash. Appears these are not appearing. The 2005 owners manual has all the maintenance details. Honda has all the manuals on line. I'd find the first major maintenance and do that. Suggestions are listed previously. Typical unknowing shop (or dealer!) will use the wrong oil filter and differential oil. It's in the owners manual, a small booklet that many don't bother to read...

Valve adjustment of DBW cars is vital based on indications here that they were either set too tight at the factory or got that way during use. Billman posted a Warning a couple of years ago. Excellent device and dirt simple to do. A Honda motorcycle dealer/mechanic probably has more experience/expertise in this task if you don't have time yourself. Engine has to be cold though. Fixing to check mine again in a few weeks. They were fine 20K miles ago.

-- Chuck

Quick Reply: Basic maintenance...