S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Basic maintenance...

Old 06-02-2019, 05:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
The 2006 and later cars have the Maintenance Minder in the dash electronics and it will light up when maintenance is required. There is no other schedule. A very low mileage/time car will only have a few of these and unless cleared start indicating negative mileage and other nags on the dash. Appears these are not appearing. The 2005 owners manual has all the maintenance details. Honda has all the manuals on line. I'd find the first major maintenance and do that. Suggestions are listed previously. Typical unknowing shop (or dealer!) will use the wrong oil filter and differential oil. It's in the owners manual, a small booklet that many don't bother to read...

Valve adjustment of DBW cars is vital based on indications here that they were either set too tight at the factory or got that way during use. Billman posted a Warning a couple of years ago. Excellent device and dirt simple to do. A Honda motorcycle dealer/mechanic probably has more experience/expertise in this task if you don't have time yourself. Engine has to be cold though. Fixing to check mine again in a few weeks. They were fine 20K miles ago.

-- Chuck
Any particular advice for incoming 04 S2k, Dealer 'serviced' at 50k miles. Looking to perhaps change the TCT as preventive maintenance. Clutch as bled.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:53 PM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

Any information as to what was serviced? The owner's manual will have the specifics. 50K is not a regular scheduled service as they're in 7500 mile increments. Glance at the oil filter when you get it to determine if it is the specific S2000 filter -- not a generic Honda filter or anything else.

I changed to the Billman TCT at 40K purely as preventive maintenance. These all fail eventually. Recommend you get an engine oil analysis during your first oil change. Blackstone oil analysis has a database on the S2000 and can alert you to any problems. Get their free sample kit bottle and mailer. Think it's $25 or so when you send the oil in. Mine gets excellent grades every test with below average wear.

That's it. Take your time. Enjoy the car and learn pretty simple auto mechanics like fluid changes and valve adjustments. Better than sitting at the computer all day at work!

-- Chuck
Old 06-02-2019, 07:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Any information as to what was serviced? The owner's manual will have the specifics. 50K is not a regular scheduled service as they're in 7500 mile increments. Glance at the oil filter when you get it to determine if it is the specific S2000 filter -- not a generic Honda filter or anything else.

I changed to the Billman TCT at 40K purely as preventive maintenance. These all fail eventually. Recommend you get an engine oil analysis during your first oil change. Blackstone oil analysis has a database on the S2000 and can alert you to any problems. Get their free sample kit bottle and mailer. Think it's $25 or so when you send the oil in. Mine gets excellent grades every test with below average wear.

That's it. Take your time. Enjoy the car and learn pretty simple auto mechanics like fluid changes and valve adjustments. Better than sitting at the computer all day at work!

-- Chuck
I'll try shoot you a PM when enabled. But I am a noob when it comes to 'wrenching' so not sure how involved I can be off the jump. Happy to send you a PM and get some sage advice.

Do you send the blackstone oil analysis every oil change or annually?
Old 06-03-2019, 01:51 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

If you end up gettng the valves adjusted by someone else, search for a mechanic who has done it before. Not many these days have ever adjusted valves. Sometimes a motorcycle mechanic is the best bet.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:04 AM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

Do you send the blackstone oil analysis every oil change or annually?
In my case they're the same interval. I'm sure this is over sampling but reassuring. We didn't change the oil in our combat tanks until the oil analysis told us to change it. Engine oil in a tank engine is measured in gallons, not quarts.

Note the filter change schedule is every other oil change but it's inexpensive and you're under the car anyway.

-- Chuck