S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

BG 44K and Oil Consumption

Old 06-17-2017, 10:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default BG 44K and Oil Consumption

Well after a miss fire issue a while back I got some new spark plugs I've noticed a decent amount of carbon build up on the tops of the cylinders. Was due for a oil change with Pennzoil Platinum 10w-30 (what I always use) and added a can of bg 44k for shits and giggles.

Some history on the car is that it burns about 1-.1.5 quarts per 1,000 miles depending on how hard I drive it ever since I got it at 60k, current millage is 116k. Compression is solid and its a healthy motor, just drinks some more oil than most s2k's. I'm currently at roughly 850miles in since the oil change and havent burned any oil?!?!?! Which is weird as I usually add a quart by this time. Can anyone make any sense of this? Only thing I changed since the bg44k is the spark plug, two coils packs that were acting up under load, and got my injectors cleaned.

I also have two sets of their bg109 (their flush) and moa (their oil supplement). Anyone ever use these on the s? I noticed that I got a tiny tiny bit of build up under the valve cover so I was thinking it couldnt hurt to clear some of it up, or could it hurt haha.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:50 AM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

hold on, gonna go buy some BG 44K
Old 06-20-2017, 10:51 AM

you put this in the oil? it looks like it goes in the fuel system...?
Old 06-20-2017, 11:44 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

We use BG at my work pretty often, the 44K helps a lot with carbon build up in direct injection motors for the most part but also helps clean up the rest of the fuel system such as injectors and the carbon build up inside the cylinders. BG's MOA and Oil Supplement Additives are overall good products, I've used them in every car I've owned including my S. When we do valve cleaning jobs on the 2.0 TSI VW/Audi motors at my shop we soak the build-up areas in 44K over night before anything and it works wonders.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:24 PM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

A little water injection will keep your pistons, heads and valves as clean as a brand new engine. It was first used on piston engined aircraft prior to WW ll to give them more power on take off or when they needed more power like when your in a dog fight. Been used in cars almost as long.

ROD
Old 06-21-2017, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by jyeung528
you put this in the oil? it looks like it goes in the fuel system...?

The bg44k is for the fuel system (put in the gas tank), the bg109 is a oil flush right before a oil change and the moa is a oil additive when you add your new oil I believe. I bought the bg44k in bulk and it came with three bottles. Once im through the three bottles ill pull the spark plugs and see if it did anything in the cylinders. Just surprised me as it basically saved me a quart of oil? I dunno lol, was pretty skeptical about it but it looks like its doing something.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:37 PM

so you're saying you used bg 44k and bg 109 and bg moa?

because your original posts says you only used bg 44k, so there's critical information missing here if someone were to try to replicate your success.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Lochness Monsta
We use BG at my work pretty often, the 44K helps a lot with carbon build up in direct injection motors for the most part but also helps clean up the rest of the fuel system such as injectors and the carbon build up inside the cylinders. BG's MOA and Oil Supplement Additives are overall good products, I've used them in every car I've owned including my S. When we do valve cleaning jobs on the 2.0 TSI VW/Audi motors at my shop we soak the build-up areas in 44K over night before anything and it works wonders.
Thanks for postin, looks like ill use the 109 and moa my next oil change. When I change my oil at 3k miles my oils pitch black, probably cause it burned up about +/-4 quarts of oil within 3k miles Hopefully it can clear up some of the hidden gunk and keep my oil lookin nice at the end of the 3k miles. Do you just follow the directions on the can for 109? Read around and some people let it sit in their engine for 10-20 mins, and some upwards of 40 mins?

Originally Posted by rrounds
A little water injection will keep your pistons, heads and valves as clean as a brand new engine. It was first used on piston engined aircraft prior to WW ll to give them more power on take off or when they needed more power like when your in a dog fight. Been used in cars almost as long.

ROD
I've seen squeaky clean cylinder/pistons from a blown head gasket but doesnt carbon in the cylinder increase compression? Scared if i use water it wash out all the carbon it'll be doing more harm than good actually lowering compression. I think bg44k works more gently taking off carbon where it combusts and not throughly cleaning unlike water? Idk tho I feel like my logic is flawed some times.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by jyeung528
so you're saying you used bg 44k and bg 109 and bg moa?

because your original posts says you only used bg 44k, so there's critical information missing here if someone were to try to replicate your success.

Oh my bad if its a bit confusing, ill try and clear it up

I only used the bg44k so far, one can of has been through the fuel system and havent burned any oil. Looks like whatever it did to keep me from burning oil, it did it relatively quickly. I have two more cans of bg44k and i'm planing on continuing to use it my next two fuel ups. Bought it a while ago on amazon for like 50 bucks for three cans?

I have not used the bg109 or moa, was kinda just asking for peoples inputs on it. It was pretty cheap so I picked up two sets. I will be using it my next oil change as lochness monster backs it up, I've heard only good things from pepople who've used it anyways. At the end of 3k miles my oils real dark and i was wondering if theres gunk hidden in the engine just contaminating the new clean oil i put in.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:00 PM

i don't think he is actually telling you to put water into your engine.

there are some engines that are designed with water injection, like the M4 and new GT2. probably what he is referring to.

Quick Reply: BG 44K and Oil Consumption