S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

bleed the clutch ...

Old 12-15-2006, 07:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up bleed the clutch ...

well this is what happen ....

about 2-3 months ago... i over rev from 3rd to 2nd... after driving ....i notice my car doesnt seem to run right... at first my clutch doesnt grab as it use to... so at first i thought i burned my clutch... then i realize it might be the delay valve...so i did a little mod on my slave cylinder.... everything went fine.. but i didnt feel much difference ... so test it couple times... right after vtec somewhere around 7-8 rpm i switch gear ... and yes my tires chirp..... so it means it work.... right.....

now im not sure if my clutch is burned ... so i read a lot of thread and they said sometime if you dont do the mod right taking the delay valve it can also cause a clutch problem..and sometimes it leaks or something....

and this morning i check the clutch fluid and its freakin black.... its that normal its only been 2 months.... and the fluid is black... so what do you guys think ...

thanks....
Old 12-15-2006, 09:57 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

The fluid level is still ok?
Did you clean out the reservoir before changing fluid?
Leftover "dirt" in the reservoir may have made the new fluid dark.
Dark clutch fluid is not a real problem (for you=> you know you put fresh fluid in) because there is not much "stress" on the fluid as there is on brake fluid.
IIRC there is not even a change interval specified for clutch fluid in the owners manual's maintenance section.

Old 12-15-2006, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by SpitfireS,Dec 15 2006, 10:57 AM
The fluid level is still ok?
Did you clean out the reservoir before changing fluid?
Leftover "dirt" in the reservoir may have made the new fluid dark.
Dark clutch fluid is not a real problem (for you=> you know you put fresh fluid in) because there is not much "stress" on the fluid as there is on brake fluid.
IIRC there is not even a change interval specified for clutch fluid in the owners manual's maintenance section.

yes fluid level is ok.... and yes i clean it all the way... no dirts left.... and its black right nw..

so its not my cylinder then...

do you think its my clutch... thats almost burned... i have 50k on my04
Old 12-15-2006, 01:54 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Lets start from the beginning:
jdmgpw04 Posted on Dec 15 2006, 05:09 PM
about 2-3 months ago... i over rev from 3rd to 2nd... after driving ....i notice my car doesnt seem to run right
What do you mean by "doesn't seem to run right"?
At what speed at what revs did you misshift / downshift from 3rd to 2nd?
I would recommend having the retainers checked out for possible damage.
There are enough threads on the how & why in UTH.
Here is one:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=437271

at first my clutch doesnt grab as it use to... so at first i thought i burned my clutch
IMO you can't "burn a clutch" on a downshift.
Did you do some upshifting with bad timing as well?

then i realize it might be the delay valve...so i did a little mod on my slave cylinder.... everything went fine.. but i didnt feel much difference ... so test it couple times... right after vtec somewhere around 7-8 rpm i switch gear ... and yes my tires chirp..... so it means it work.... right.....
This makes me think you did.
Bad timed high rev upshifts can burn a clutch, especially with the CDV.

so i read a lot of thread and they said sometime if you dont do the mod right taking the delay valve it can also cause a clutch problem..and sometimes it leaks or something....
Lets say you bleed the clutch master & slave wrong and your clutch doesn't engage well or you have a hard time shifting with a disengaged clutch and you start to adjust the clutch pedal you may cause more problems.
To remove the CDV you have to take a hydraulic cylinder apart and if you don't put it back together properly you may create a leak.
What sort of clutch (brake) fluid did you use?

and this morning i check the clutch fluid and its freakin black.... its that normal its only been 2 months.... and the fluid is black... so what do you guys think ...
IF you used DOT 5 fluid (which is NOT compatible with the S2000) you may have disolved the o-rings, and they are black so that may be the cause of the black fluid.

If possible take a picture of the fluid and post it.
A light brownish colour would be normal.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:45 PM

SpitfireS

well i have had the retainers check already and compression test valve check ... no damage whatsoever...

on my slave cylinder yes i think i did a pretty good damn job... hehehe followed every single datails on what billmans said....

no leaks on my clutch cylinder....

and no i used a dot 4 synthetic the one xviper use... dont remember whats it called....

well now i called someone in my area... also a member here at s2ki and also a mechanic at a honda dealer.... all the symtoms he said was symtoms for burned clutch.... to find out for sure hes going to test drive the car tomorrow .... ill keep you guys updated....

thanks for the input...

i still dont know why my clutch fluid turned black in 2 months... specially using synthetic dot 4 ....
Old 12-16-2006, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jdmgpw04,Dec 15 2006, 08:09 AM
i check the clutch fluid and its freakin black.... its that normal its only been 2 months.... and the fluid is black... so what do you guys think ...

thanks....
Dun't trip homie, it's normal.

Old 12-16-2006, 04:21 AM

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...........................................

is the period key broken on your keyboard???????????????? lol, so annoying to read..........
Old 12-16-2006, 10:41 AM

Old 12-16-2006, 10:42 AM