S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Bogging Problem Finally Solved!

Old 05-11-2008, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bogging Problem Finally Solved!

Hey guys, ever since I bought my S last summer i've had an annoying bogging issue. Like clock work, every time it got hot out or if I removed my air box over my intake the car would completely change. The car would bog off the line and feel as if it was at 50% power.

Well, I was fed up with the problem so I left my car with a local shop mechanic (a Korean guy nick named the "honda god") and after a week he discovered the problem. Turns out my throttle position sensor was getting false readings and barely reading at all if the amount of air was changed (taking off the air box) or if the air temperature was drastically changed.

Played it safe and got a new throttle body with new map and throttle position sensor from Honda. On the way to get it fixed it was acting up like crazy. Picked it up the next morning on the way to work (over 80 degrees out...definitely a bogging environment) and it ran like a charm. One hundred percent all the way to work in bumper to bumper traffic and all the way home.

Work was done over a week ago and it has ran better than ever before. Not a single hiccup.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:57 PM

haha sounds like the guy threw some major parts at it....but im glad its fixed!!
Old 05-11-2008, 03:53 PM

I bet the little channel in your original throttle body that supplies air to the map sensor is just dirty or clogged and needs cleaning.

btw, the throttle position sensor only tells the computer how far open the butterfly valve is. It doesn't know how much air the engine is seeing or what the temperature is

the MAP sensor knows how much air you're seeing, which you did replace.

the Intake Air Temp sensor reads the temperature, which sounds like you did NOT replace.

For fun you should take the map sensor off the old throttle body, clean out the hole, and then put the whole thing back. I'd almost bet your problems are solved
Old 05-11-2008, 05:28 PM

Ya know I actually did the cleaning of that small hole leading to the map sensor last August and it only ran a little better for a day or two. None the less I know the source of my problem was at least one of those two sensors.

And with the problem apparently being the throttle position sensor it makes sense when I think back to when it ran bad. When it would bog off the line, no matter how far I pressed the gas the car remained to seem powerless and didn't increase in acceleration what so ever. Which to me seemed like the computer wasn't reading how open the throttle was. Just a thought.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:03 PM

The tps has a readout on the OBDII, should be easy to verify if it is wacked.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Shanky,May 11 2008, 02:12 PM
Hey guys, ever since I bought my S last summer i've had an annoying bogging issue. Like clock work, every time it got hot out or if I removed my air box over my intake the car would completely change. The car would bog off the line and feel as if it was at 50% power.

Well, I was fed up with the problem so I left my car with a local shop mechanic (a Korean guy nick named the "honda god") and after a week he discovered the problem. Turns out my throttle position sensor was getting false readings and barely reading at all if the amount of air was changed (taking off the air box) or if the air temperature was drastically changed.

Played it safe and got a new throttle body with new map and throttle position sensor from Honda. On the way to get it fixed it was acting up like crazy. Picked it up the next morning on the way to work (over 80 degrees out...definitely a bogging environment) and it ran like a charm. One hundred percent all the way to work in bumper to bumper traffic and all the way home.

Work was done over a week ago and it has ran better than ever before. Not a single hiccup.
If you dont mind me asking- how much did all the parts run you + labor? my 01 does almost the exact same thing you are describing.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you have a check engine light?
Im pretty sure if those sensors were messed up then it would have thrown a code...
Old 05-11-2008, 07:38 PM

ihave experienced a similar problem.... I can sit in a drivethru on a hot day and when i go to leave the parking lot and pull out into trafic it will fall on its face right after the clutch is fully engaged, when it happens i can push all the way to the floor and no response, when you let off completly and push the clutch in and rev the engine a bit and let it back out the car drives just fine

I too have a brand new updated map sensor and i have cleaned everything including the air supply tube going to the map......

might try to find a used TB instead of 550$ for a brand new one
Old 05-11-2008, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by S-Turn AP1,May 11 2008, 07:38 PM
might try to find a used TB instead of 550$ for a brand new one

or do what i did too.

TPS FIX
Old 05-11-2008, 09:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks like I'm having a similar problem 2.....during hot start the car bogs and idles low and unsteady.....I'll check the TPS at some point during the week

Quick Reply: Bogging Problem Finally Solved!