S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Bumpsteer racking my brain

Old 03-18-2016, 06:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So far it's possibility of bushings and steering rack. Any more ideas?
Old 03-18-2016, 10:22 AM

Also to add on in case anyone thinks it's my rear. I do not believe it's my rear because everytime I get aligned the rear barely changes from my specs camber and toe wise. The steering rack was replaced years ago because my previous one had EPS trouble. The eps would disconnect when i turn on the car and re-engage if I'm parked on a hill. The steering rack was installed by a master tech and aligned. I didn't have any issues with bumpsteer or alignment till this past May.
Old 03-18-2016, 01:13 PM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

You could check the tie rod ends, or the compliance bushing if you're certain it's the front. If you can easily move the tie rod ends with your hands they may be loose. The only thing that can cause your bump steer feeling is a change in toe, so you have to isolate everything that can affect toe on the suspension. Ball joints, bushes, and arms, all toe is, is the wheel turning in or out during the motion of the control arms. Old worn out bushings deflect more under dynamic circumstances. Your car isn't pulling 1.2g's under braking while it's getting an alignment so you're static alignment may be fine but under load the worn bushing will allow the control arm to move over an extra mm changing toe.

You'd be surprised if you drove a car with old worn out bushings and then drove that same car with completely refurbished bushings, the difference is night and day.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:42 AM

I just drove out in the rain getting some food. The car was not stable at all. It was a bit scary, I was only driving about 35-40 MPH and the car kept going left and right. Not drastic left and right, but still a scary feeling. The most noticeable one was when I switch to the right lane, the car jerked right to left.
Old 03-19-2016, 12:53 PM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by youngcow
I just drove out in the rain getting some food. The car was not stable at all. It was a bit scary, I was only driving about 35-40 MPH and the car kept going left and right. Not drastic left and right, but still a scary feeling. The most noticeable one was when I switch to the right lane, the car jerked right to left.
Has your car ever been stable in the wet, after the mods? Your description sound like you are on the verge of very bad things.

What were you looking for when you replaced the OEM parts? You modify the EPS?

Thanks!
Old 03-19-2016, 09:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That jerking to left or right is bushings or overly worn ball joints, and if its been awhile there's a chance its both. You need to go and inspect the ENTIRE front end. Shouldn't take long. That jerking means a component is worn pretty well and should be fairly easy to spot. My guess is bushings, and in the front of the car.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by windhund116
Originally Posted by youngcow' timestamp='1458416552' post='23913562
Has your car ever been stable in the wet, after the mods? Your description sound like you are on the verge of very bad things.

What were you looking for when you replaced the OEM parts? You modify the EPS?

Thanks!

Yes the car has been stable in the wet before all of this non-sense. I agree with you on the bad things. The EPS was not modified.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by g0g3tt4
That jerking to left or right is bushings or overly worn ball joints, and if its been awhile there's a chance its both. You need to go and inspect the ENTIRE front end. Shouldn't take long. That jerking means a component is worn pretty well and should be fairly easy to spot. My guess is bushings, and in the front of the car.

Thank you so much I will check it out and report back. The upper ball joints I last checked were good but there is a chance they have gone bad.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Inspect them, there's a little rubber tab on the bushings, if they're torn you'll see that tab no longer be alinged with the rest of the rubber. If they are bad, then yes replace them. Stay away from polyurathane bushings, as a personal suggestion, go hardened rubber, like Spoon, Mugen, or Hard Race. The upper bushings can be bought from the dealership. The dealership only sells AP2 bushings however, they'll work on the front if you have an AP1, but not in the back since the AP1 and AP2 upper control arms are different, they also use different pick up points on the subframe. So if you want to change the upper arms in the rear with an AP1 you have to go aftermarket, or find used arms with good bushings and transfer them over to your arms.

Why would you recommend Hardened rubber? They are a lot more expensive X_X I was thinking Energy or powerflex bushings.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:05 AM

Driver side Lower:
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=E802F7D237FF946A!179958&authkey=!AHmJH h_g4rm-dNU&ithint=folder%2c

Driver side upper:
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=E802F7D237FF946A!179962&authkey=!AABOH bEdQYv0Lyw&ithint=folder%2c

Passenger side Lower:
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=E802F7D237FF946A!179959&authkey=!ANSqU rlngEjuzFw&ithint=folder%2c

Passenger side upper:
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=E802F7D237FF946A!179961&authkey=!ANTNV pQw_DXv8_s&ithint=folder%2c

It looks like the upper driverside bushing is messed up and some cracking in the driverside compliance bushing.

Quick Reply: Bumpsteer racking my brain