S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

burning oil but no smoke..

Old 01-10-2011, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default burning oil but no smoke..

hey everyone i need some help with this one. ..

here we go! my car was broken into a few months ago and the most damage was caused by rocks, bark and dirt being tossed into the intake. the car was first started by the tow truck guy then the shop before any of this was noticed. between the insurance and the shop they decided to just do a head rebuild and not the full motor.

since i got the car back i put about 1k miles and it burnt through 2qts of oil and i never noticed any smoke at all. it also sounded like something was clunking on start up everytime no mater the weather but wasnt as bad if the motor was warm. i also could smell oil burning when at wot getting onto the freeways. the last time i drove it its also started to sputter.

my mecanic is telling me its either the oil pump or oil rings but when the insurance guy looked at it he said it was the rear main seal but ive never had a problem with the clutch and theres not a drop of oil on the driveway or where i park at work..

i never had a single problem with the car before all this happened.

any ideas of what this could be...

this all first happened back in early Aug and im still fighting to get the car back to 100% or just have them total it so i can move on..
Old 01-10-2011, 12:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ap1 are known for burning oil but not so sure about 2qts within 1k miles.
are you still making payments on the car? if not then I would just get the money from the insurance and get yourself another S.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:15 PM

Hold up...

How and why was dirt and rocks tossed into the intake?!!! An attempt at vandalism?

If you got rocks into your head or combustion chamber valves could be bent or gouged and cylinder walls could be scored which would certainly cause oil burning.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:31 PM

i pissed someone off.lol who ever did it alse slashed the top, messed up the passanger fender, bumber and trunk, stoke all the tolls and the tire. worst of all...they stole my wakeboard. totla damage so far is around 7.5k and thats without rebuilding the bottom end.

they did rebuild the head but didnt touch the bottom end of the motor. i was thinking that there still could have been some dirt or something that wasnt cleaned out when they first drained the oil that could have caused some damage..
Old 01-10-2011, 12:40 PM

anyone have any idea at all what could cause the car to burn that much oil that fast???
Old 01-10-2011, 05:30 PM

anyone at all????

im fighting with progressive right now to get this fixed and i could use all the help i can right now!
Old 01-10-2011, 06:09 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

possibly small pebbles made it down the intake tube and scored up your cylinder walls and effed up your piston rings?
Old 01-10-2011, 06:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since your not burning oil you have to be loseing it. Check the drain bolt and while your at it, look for any signs under your car of a leak. I suppose it's possible the leak only shows up with engine running. Run you car at fast idle in your driveway and look again.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:27 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

ring damage will cause burning oil.

Just because you dont see it coming out as smoke doesnt mean its not getting burnt.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:22 AM

You can be burning a lot of oil without seeing smoke.

Quick Reply: burning oil but no smoke..