S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Burning oil smell in the cabin

Old 06-24-2015, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning oil smell in the cabin

last week I had my intake side retainers replaced by a reputable shop. After picking up my car I realized it had a slight smell of burning oil. I figured it was just excess oil from the job burning off. I drove the car again today for about 30 miles. Plus I left it idling for probably a total of 20min and I still notice a slight smell of burning oil when I have heat/air blowing.

I see no leaks from the valve cover gasket (visible areas) I plan on checking the back of the valve cover gasket tonight but I don't see any smoke or signs of any leaks at all.

I'm pretty over paranoid and I'm going to have the shop check it out tomorrow just to double check everything but I was wondering if I should look for anything specific. I could be entirely blowing this out of proportion and it could take more time for possible remaining oil or residue to burn off.

I mainly notice it when I come to a stop and turn on the heat/air. I'm going to have them check torque specs on the valve cover and anything surrounding it for leaks. The car had no smell like this previously.

I appreciate any advice thanks.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:01 PM

Received 3,390 Likes on 2,461 Posts

Oil must be dropping on the hot exhaust side of the engine, if you have dripping occurring it will be on that side. The ventilation system sucks air from the cowl which can suck in engine fumes in some situations.

When the engine is cold run your dry hands all over the passenger side of the engine and valvecover, and see if you can pick up wet oil, including the back side of the head. Something is dripping towards the header and exhaust and it is likely on the passenger side.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:55 PM

That's what I was kind of thinking. I can't see or feel any visible wet oil on the exhaust side at all. I didn't have time to check behind towards the back of the valve cover. I'm going to wait until the morning when I have some light.

I thought that oil could have possibly fell on the exhaust manifold/header and is just slowly burning off but I feel it should have gone away by now. I truly appreciate the reply and I will update this thread tomorrow with what I find out.
Old 06-27-2015, 05:18 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Take it back to them and have them correct it if they can. Hopefully all you need is new seals or something simple. Make sure your oil filter is on tight.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by JUSTINTHECOASTIE
Take it back to them and have them correct it if they can. Hopefully all you need is new seals or something simple. Make sure your oil filter is on tight.
I brought it back and they could not see any leaks at all. I went over the entire engine bay and see no wet oil of any kind. The smell does not seem to be as noticeable but I have not driven the car very much. It'a just extremely frustrating because the car had zero smell of any burning oil previous to the job. It smells like possible residual oil on the exhaust/manifold and heat shield. I can see no visible smoke and I only seem to notice the smell after driving and coming to a stop at a light.

If I still notice the smell after driving the car this week I will be bringing it back again. Is there anything that could be checked that could be possibly leaking or causing a burning oil smell? How long can it take for residual oil to burn off? This car has done nothing but irritate me the past month... I'm just trying to do preventive maintenance and it seems like its causing more problems..
Old 06-28-2015, 04:45 AM

I also double checked my oil filter initially, I mean the smell is pretty faint even with the air blowing but it's just extremely annoying. My car burned absolutely no oil previously. I don't see any blue smoke or anything of that nature out the exhaust. It smells clearly like fresh oil being burned on the hot side of the engine but I have no idea where its coming from.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by rtboy10
I also double checked my oil filter initially, I mean the smell is pretty faint even with the air blowing but it's just extremely annoying. My car burned absolutely no oil previously. I don't see any blue smoke or anything of that nature out the exhaust. It smells clearly like fresh oil being burned on the hot side of the engine but I have no idea where its coming from.
When you smell this smell, are your windows up and a/c on ventilation?
Old 06-30-2015, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by JUSTINTHECOASTIE
Originally Posted by rtboy10' timestamp='1435495528' post='23663241
At first it was noticeable when I had the top down and I pulled up to a light. This I figured was definitely just residual oil burning off from after the job. I've driven the car near 100 miles since then and I still would notice a sligh smell when I had the air on and came to a stop at a light. I've left it sit idling while looking for leaks and smells and really couldn't find any around the valve cover gasket, or anywhere on the engine in general. It's overall a very clean motor. I'm Going to get the front end on stands later today and inspect for any possible leaks or residual oil. This just really irritates me because the car had no smell of burning oil whatsoever previously.

I appreciate any suggestions to check out. I'm going to be installing a catch can set up as well as a new fuel rail so I'm hoping I may be able to spot the small leak or whatever it may be.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by rtboy10
Originally Posted by JUSTINTHECOASTIE' timestamp='1435523245' post='23663557
[quote name='rtboy10' timestamp='1435495528' post='23663241']
At first it was noticeable when I had the top down and I pulled up to a light. This I figured was definitely just residual oil burning off from after the job. I've driven the car near 100 miles since then and I still would notice a sligh smell when I had the air on and came to a stop at a light. I've left it sit idling while looking for leaks and smells and really couldn't find any around the valve cover gasket, or anywhere on the engine in general. It's overall a very clean motor. I'm Going to get the front end on stands later today and inspect for any possible leaks or residual oil. This just really irritates me because the car had no smell of burning oil whatsoever previously.

I appreciate any suggestions to check out. I'm going to be installing a catch can set up as well as a new fuel rail so I'm hoping I may be able to spot the small leak or whatever it may be.
[/quote]
Try washing your engine bay(to hopefully wash away any oil that may have gotten on a hot surface) then place cardboard under your car for about 2-3 weeks to see if you have a slow developing leak.