S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Cams install help

Old 06-02-2004, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow marcus I think you should stay away from toda products bro....you're not having the best of luck with toda stuff.
Old 06-02-2004, 01:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They're the best I can find. Although the original camshaft failure was disheartening, the cams did make power (before they failed). I expect the new cams to produce the same power, and hopefully they'll stand the test of time.

I expect the header to also fit my needs best. It is lighter than stock and (according to 2nd hand data) produces power in the areas that I want it. I could've gone with Mugen or Amuse, but I liked what I saw from Toda. Now I'm just hoping I can avoid the "bracket failure" that others have reported.

After that, I'll have my big fat obnoxious exhaust (Amuse R1000) to put on. Then I should be finished with go-fast goodies and be ready to start working on suspension. When you're working with a budget, you gotta follow the master plan.
Old 06-02-2004, 01:27 PM

I ditched my all motor venture....called ALANIZ and told him to drop my compression and put larger valves....I'm going FI.
Old 06-02-2004, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by allenheathdj
I ditched my all motor venture....called ALANIZ and told him to drop my compression and put larger valves....I'm going FI.
That's cool. Seems to be the way of the world these days... but not for me. When I'm ready for FI, I'll buy a car that's built for it from the factory. The F20C excels at high output from a small displacement NA motor.

If you'll allow me to philosophize for a bit, my POV is this: "Improving upon the S2000's NA performance is like taking a block of granite and refining it until you have a semblance of Michelangelo's 'David'. Building up a forced-induction S2000 is similar to taking a block of granite and super-gluing chunks of rock to it until you get something that resembles 'The Incredible Hulk'."
Both are equally impressive feats, and each will be found appealing by various people, but I think the S2000 is a car that deserves a "finesse" approach instead of "brute force". But, I also agree with the slogan, "To each their own". I can appreciate a well tuned turbo or supercharged S2000 just as well as I can appreciate a well tuned NA S2000. But for my personal S2000... I choose NA.

Anyway... I'm rambling and getting off-topic. I'll update this thread when I determine if I've corrected the problem with the installation.
Old 06-02-2004, 05:19 PM

na all the way baby...
thats the way im gonna go good luck bro from one marcus to another
Old 06-02-2004, 05:34 PM

Originally posted by allenheathdj
WELCOME MIKE>>>
Old 06-02-2004, 06:23 PM

beroz do you still want the cams and cariers?
Old 06-03-2004, 04:58 AM

yup.... I will call you today....
Thanks
beroz
Old 06-03-2004, 06:42 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

mxt, I have to wonder if the old cams caused any damage when they failed. I didn't follow your cam failure thread, so sorry if this was addressed. But given our engines interference fit and very little tolerance for a mistake, I would start with a compression test and makes sure the internals are 100%.

Second, I would take the car and cams to a genuine engine builder who knows how to mic and map cams to measure lift, duration, opening and closing to make sure that what Toda gave you is what the cams are supposed to be. People don't realize this, but cams will sometimes come out different than intended.
Old 06-03-2004, 01:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I would also be very suspicious of your dyno results. If you went to Speedworks, then I wouldn't be surprised if that is the problem. I think their dyno is in need of some maintenance. My last dyno there showed a 7 rwhp loss even though I had just installed a single exhaust and retuned my AFRs, and I noticed that the dyno's temperature and humidity measurements were significantly off from what weather.com was showing.

Quick Reply: Cams install help