S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

can somebody explain the s2000 transmission, PLEASE!

Old 05-21-2014, 03:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default can somebody explain the s2000 transmission, PLEASE!

I know this may be a little long but any help is greatly greatly appreciated. I love this car so much but this transmission is ruining the fun for me.

The transmission on this car has given me so many headaches since ive gotten the car that im at the point of wanting to sell the damn thing!!! I dont know if its how the car is supposed to be or if something is wrong.

I cant seem to get a straight answer from anyone...some say shift slow, same say shift fast, some say there tranny is notchy some say there's is rifle bolt smooth.

i have literally done everything to my transmission that the threads on here say...bled and changed clutch fluids and tranny fluids so many times its not even funny, adjusted clutch play, shift above 5.5K, did the de-burr for 3rd gear, Ive even changed to a brand new ACT street disk and HD pressure plate.

Exactly how is this transmission supposed to feel??

Here how mine is:

NO GRINDING WHATSOEVER,

2nd: decently smooth
3rd: only smooth if i shift really fast and right after i put the clutch to the floor..If i get lazy or shift slow i get this bump in the gear thats extremely annoying
4th: sometimes smooth, no bump like 3rd but just notchy
5th: same as 4th
6th: most of the time smooth sometimes like 4th and 5th

AND DOWNSHIFTING INTO 1ST GEAR WHILE COMING TO A STOP: if im coming a speedbump and need to slow down a lot, if i downshift into first while the car is at like 2-3MPH..if feels like im hitting something in the gear and almost sounds like its going to grind. Yet if i downshift into 1st at like 10-15mph, its smooth as butter

It really bothers me that not every gear is consistent in feel and depending on how i drive depends on how smooth it is...is that how everyone else is? Is that how this car is supposed to be?

I have a 2008 civic 5 speed that is so smooth in every gear and every gear feels the same no matter what i do. I want my s2000 to be that way.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:10 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

my 08 CR, my friends 08 CR and my friends 05 ap2 all feel buttery smooth whether we are at the track or on the street.

have you gotten a chance to drive another s2000? Go to a meet and see if someone will let you row some gears in the parking lot, or go to a dealership that is selling a used one and give it a go.

I looked at your mods and it's hard to isolate where the problem might be but I would:
- shifter regrease
- make sure there isn't any water in the gear box
- check the slave cylinder
- make sure there is no air in the clutch line
- check the transmission mounts, engine mounts, diff mounts
- perhaps switch to a stock shift knob

btw, what kind of fluid is in your tranny?

is your engine knocking or doing anything funny where it might be rocking back and forth violently?
Old 05-21-2014, 05:18 PM

See, mine is not buttery smooth, it's very notchy.... I've driven my buddies s and it was definitely smoother than mine...his is an ap2 though.

I've done the shifter regrease, clutch lines have been bled by a reputable shop that only works on nsx' s and s2000's, same shop said all my mounts were good. I'm running regular honda fluid now but did have amsoil synchromesh in there with no difference....engine is not knocking at all

Is you tranny smooth with out any notches no matter what rpm you shift at?? Depending on the rpm and how fast or slow I shift it can be smoother but again it's not consistent and sometimes no matter what I do it's notchy

I'm at a loss on what to do right now cause I don't know if my tranny is f@#ked and I should start looking for a new one...would just like to know if I can do something to save it or not
Old 05-21-2014, 05:32 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

You might want to consider warming up your tranny fluid and dropping a little out of the tranny and sending it off to Blackstone labs for analysis

I mean it could be anything from bad syncros to bent shift forks

My transmission gets smoother as it gets warmer and it's smooth whether I shift at 2k or 8k. I can shift fast on the track or shift slow cruising around on the street.

I'm using Motul gear 300 75w90 in my CR, when I got it with 28k miles, I didn't take any chances and dropped the fluid out first thing when I got it, but it looked good and the car drove like new.

Where are you located?
Old 05-21-2014, 06:16 PM

I'm in orlando, Fl......mine actually gets notchier as it gets warmer if that means anything....I let the car sit for about 10 before I drive it and that still doesn't help

I've done so much with this already and spent a lot of money already so at this point I'm wondering if a rebuild or just getting a newer low mileage ap2 tranny would be worth it!

Does the fact that It does not grind mean anything?
Old 05-21-2014, 07:04 PM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Sitting wont warm up your tranny :s

I find After 15 min the tranny warms up.

Did you grease and check the ball on the slave?

Also grease the splines on the clutch?
Is everything adjusted properly?
Old 05-21-2014, 07:10 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

it just sounds like your syncros are a little worn out. How many miles are on your S?
Old 05-21-2014, 08:08 PM

It has 70k miles on it...is a complete year down required for the synchros to be replaced?

And yes there was no rust on the input spline when the clutch was changed and new grease was put on it then...

If this transmission is supposed to be rifle bolt smooth in every gear no matter the rpm then something is wrong with mine cause it is def not
Old 05-21-2014, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is smooth. Knock on wood, I have never had any issue at all with it. Something is def wrong with yours. That is not how it is supposed to be.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I honestly think your tranny is fine. The going into first issue is normal. Also, shifting the s2000 tranny can be notchy at times. Try revving the car a little higher before shifts. The s2000 tranny is smooth as butter when shifting at redline but isn't at its best at lower RPMs. Mine feels rough sometimes going to third as well. It's the nature of this tranny

Quick Reply: can somebody explain the s2000 transmission, PLEASE!