S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Car not starting everything seems fine

Old 09-10-2007, 10:44 AM
Fed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car not starting everything seems fine

I've got a 2001 AP1 with 114,000 miles on it. Ever since about 80,000 miles, the car has developped a problkem that occurs every once in a while; it just won't start.
The battery has a full charge, the fuses are ok, when the key is placed in the ignition, and turned everything lights up. However when the clutch is pushed in and the starter button pressed, the engine doesn't turn over. No clicking sound either. I can heir the ignition solenoids hum from the elecrical charge they are getting but still it won't start. The problem is now, it is happening 2 starts out of 3. Somitimes, it'll just start right up. Others, it just sits there. Tried rolling it down a hill and starting it, nothing.
I've heard things a bout a flat spot on the clutch, but the clutch is fine.
anything else i can check? I'm at work right now, had to go run an errand, and went to start the car, but it is dead now.

I should also add that the car has been taken it to 2 dealerships, and they have both been unable to find anything wrong with it.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:06 PM

If you have checked your batt and the condition of it is fine and showing 12v then it sounds like the starter motor is gone..
It wont have anything to do with the clutch..
Old 09-10-2007, 06:10 PM

It could easily be a loose wire to/from the starter, also. Intermittent electrical problems are a royal PITA.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:13 PM

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts

If you can't start the car by push starting it, it is unlikely a problem with your starter. It's hard to pinpoint your problem, but you should rule out a few options.

The starter won't crank if the clutch pedal isn't recognized as being engaged. There's a limit switch that has to be tripped for the starter to engage. You might want to check it out.

Another possibility is your immobilizer. But if you're getting power to your coil-on-plugs, that can't be it. Make sure the hum you're hearing isn't your fuel pump. You might want to temporarily run a voltmeter to various electrical connections and see if you can figure out where the problem is coming from. If you can get a circuit to fail only when the car doesn't start, you can figure out where the problem is coming from.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:10 AM

I've had the same problem, and although this sounds really stupid, I've somehow gotten through this by either shifting gears with the cluth engaged and the car started, or by rolling the car slightly, and the car started.

The first few times this happened, I roll started, and it didn't come back for a while. I've taken it to Honda, and they can't find anything wrong.
The last few times, I've tried the above two methods, and it has started.

As stupid as it sounds, it appears to have worked for me.
Go figure?
Old 09-11-2007, 05:34 AM
Fed

Penrod, that sounds exactly like the problem I've been having, and yes, your solution has worked for me in the past. However, it's been twice now in a week that running it through the gears, as well as push starting it doesn't work. Yesterday it wouldn't budge. Had to get my girlfriend to come pick me up and i left the car here at work.
This morning, tried to start the car, got a grinding sound from the starter, but the car started right up.
It's gotten very frustrating. The car is no longer dependable to me. I think I'm going to stop by Carmax this afternoon and just get rid of it.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:52 AM

too bad.
you've got the additional grinding that I don't and haven't had.
Sounds like the starter?
good luck with your search (either for a new ride or for the solution to your problem).
Old 09-11-2007, 04:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fed,Sep 11 2007, 08:34 AM
Penrod, that sounds exactly like the problem I've been having, and yes, your solution has worked for me in the past. However, it's been twice now in a week that running it through the gears, as well as push starting it doesn't work. Yesterday it wouldn't budge. Had to get my girlfriend to come pick me up and i left the car here at work.
This morning, tried to start the car, got a grinding sound from the starter, but the car started right up.
It's gotten very frustrating. The car is no longer dependable to me. I think I'm going to stop by Carmax this afternoon and just get rid of it.
Not a bad idea. See if you can trade it for a nice Land Rover - I hear most of them make it to 100k with less than $10,000 worth of repairs.
The following users liked this post:
Proman540 (08-28-2019)
Old 09-11-2007, 06:37 PM

grinding after starting.. = starter

since you have alot of miles.. check your battery wires.. for corrosion sometimes you cant see any on the exposed wires.. but the unexposed or wrapped up wires could have corrosion..
Old 06-01-2012, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by R3DS2K
grinding after starting.. = starter

since you have alot of miles.. check your battery wires.. for corrosion sometimes you cant see any on the exposed wires.. but the unexposed or wrapped up wires could have corrosion..
Sorry to revive an old post. Did any of you resolve your start up issues? I believe my car is exhibiting the same issue.

Quick Reply: Car not starting everything seems fine