S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Car pulling hard to right under acceleration

Old 05-05-2007, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car pulling hard to right under acceleration

As the title says... When I hit the gas, the car pulls to the right. It's exagerated with speed. By the time I'm going 75mph or so, it actually feels like the rear wheels change direction, then snap back into place when I let off the gas. The car will jerk pretty violently to the right, then back to the left when I let off the gas.

Tire pressure was initially off by a good amount when I tested it. Set everything to 32. That helped a bit, but the pull was still there, and still BAD at highway speeds.

I'm having the car checked out by a local shop I trust for allignment etc on monday. I have a standing appointment with the dealer I bought the car from on Weds, but quite frankly, I don't trust them to find the dipstick, let alone fix this. After the initialy test drive (never got up to highway speeds), I commented on the pull, and asked them to check tire pressure and allignment for me. When I came to pick up the car, they assured me it had been fixed.

At low speeds, the pull is hardly noticeable, but it's downright scary at highway speeds...

Any ideas?
Old 05-05-2007, 06:48 PM

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts

There have been numerous threads with the exact same symptoms that you describe, and they have all turned out to be tire pressure. There was one thread a few months ago where the owner stated just like you that he checked the tire pressure. Well, it turned out he assumed that since some garage told him they checked the tire pressure that it was actually done.

Before you do anything else, check it again.

If that is definitely not it, you may want to make sure your wheels are the same diameter. If you replaced one of your rear tires, your LSD will try to pull hard to one side. Rear tires must be replaced as a pair.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:06 PM

I'll check again tomorrow morning when the tires are good and cold. I set all the tire pressures this morning, but who knows, I could have gone blind/stupid.

The car was a CPO, and all 4 tires were replaced new before I bought the car. I'll double check that too, to make sure I didn't miss one excessivly worn rear tire.

Thanks
Old 05-05-2007, 07:20 PM

Well what do you know.... I weant to check tire wear, and the right tire ISN'T new. It's got ~2mm more wear than the left. That's what I get for eyeballing instead of measuring.

I think this calls for a wheel/tire upgrade! Thanks for the advice.