S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Car shut off while driving and won't start

Old 06-13-2013, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car shut off while driving and won't start

As I was driving home last night shifting from 2nd to 3rd my clutch pedal got stuck to the floor. After popping it back up with my foot the car shut off and won't start now. The clutch pedal now feels like it has a lot of play and once it's almost fully pressed down it feels like its rubbing or grinding on something. When going threw the gears now its hard to get them into all the gears like something is blocking them. I just put in a clutch kit, flywheel, master and slave about a year and a half ago. Everything only has about 3000 miles on it. Can anyone suggest anything before I drop the transmission? Oh and I'm not leaking any fluid, I checked it multiple times and the level is the same.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try checking the switch on the clutch... not sure if it would make the car cutoff and die while driving, but if it is defective or not being pressed it definitely would not start back up. Need some more info from you... is it cranking but not starting? Does it not do anything when you try to start?
As for the clutch, sounds like you have something going on... Was the clutch bled, fluid change, etc etc when the parts were replaced? Did you grease the inside groove on the release bearing? Slave ok? Clutch fork still in the right place? A lot of stuff you can check before dropping the transmission.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:59 PM

When trying to start it, you can hear the fuel pump tune on and it starts to crank over for a split second then turns off and all the lights on the dash turn off. All the fluids were changed and bled properly. I greased everything to specs like they were supposed to.

Originally Posted by Murphg05
Try checking the switch on the clutch... not sure if it would make the car cutoff and die while driving, but if it is defective or not being pressed it definitely would not start back up. Need some more info from you... is it cranking but not starting? Does it not do anything when you try to start? As for the clutch, sounds like you have something going on... Was the clutch bled, fluid change, etc etc when the parts were replaced? Did you grease the inside groove on the release bearing? Slave ok? Clutch fork still in the right place? A lot of stuff you can check before dropping the transmission.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:10 PM

So I put the car up on jack stands and to see if I could spin the rear tires while in gear. The gears spun way to easy and I noticed the driveshaft wasn't spinning. Did I blow out the rear end? Or is it just the drive shaft?
Old 06-14-2013, 12:58 PM

Ok still trying to figure out what was wrong, with the car up on jack stands still we were able to crank the motor over manually just fine. We also did this with the car in gear and got movement from the tires.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ouch, all I can say is check all the wiring to make sure it is tight! Starter, ground on the back of the motor etc. Anything you might have disrupted when the clutch was changed. Pull the boot on the slave and check inside to see if the throwout bearing is still on the fork etc... Have someone press the clutch to see if the slave is functioning. keep us posted!