S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Car shutting off for a quick second after sliding

Old 05-21-2007, 04:13 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up Car shutting off for a quick second after sliding

Hopefully i can get my question answered here.

But this has actually been happening pretty much since i've gotten the car about 2 years ago or so.

I consider myself a "spirited driver" and like to go along these twisties whenever im bored, but if im going through hairpin turn left/right and get my back end to slide out a bit as in "drifting" in the dry.

ill countersteer and straighten the car out, as im reaching redline in 2nd(usually), the car will just stop accelerating for like a quick second even though my foot is all the way down on the gas.

its actually pretty much the same thing that happens when you try and redline the car when its cold (one bar)

Does anyone else have this problem?!! my buddies and i think its something to do with the differential or lsd or something, but not quite sure. should i get it checked out?!!?

thanks in advance!!
Old 05-21-2007, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had the same problem. I am considered a "highly-spirited driver" and like to drift and do donuts and i find that when i do this it is like there is some kind of anti-spin control that cuts power in the event of a spin. Some people have said it is the fuel not getting to the fuel pump because when your are in motion the fuel stays to one side of the tank and can't get picked up. I'm not sure though.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:00 PM

i highly doubt that because i drift pretty much all the time in the wet and it doesnt do it.

only if i try and drift in the dry. well i dont purposely try and drift in the dry but ..when im driving hard the backend does come out sometimes.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:08 PM

your oil might be low?
Old 05-21-2007, 08:05 PM

does it feel like a bog or a sudden stop
Old 05-22-2007, 05:45 AM

Done doughnuts and drift out of the subdivision all the time and never had this happen? I do find myself bumping off the rev limiter in these situations when I am paying more attention to the road and the car is pulling strong, I forget to shift, but that is a different issues
Old 05-22-2007, 09:23 AM

oil level is fine.

it pretty much feels like im totally just letting off the gas after flooring it. my head just launches forward when this happens too lol.

you know when you try and redline the s2k right after you turn it on when its cold...and fuel will just cut off at 6000. thats exactly what it feels like.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:38 AM

Sounds very much like fuel starvation. happened while i was testing the engine out a few years ago. I had fuel pressure on the gauge but apparently i wasnt getting the flow thats why it only happens at high revs. I solved it by modifying the tank to take a larger aeroquip joint and adding a larger swirl pot.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:54 AM

its happened even with half a tank of gas.

is it because of the momentum thats making my gasoline just jumping around in the tank!?!?.

i dont think it would be that bad enough to make my car stop for a second. like i mean, ppl that track or autox their stock cars dont have the same problem.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:17 PM

how close to redline does that happen? not past it, right? cuz that would be the redline rev-limiter...

Quick Reply: Car shutting off for a quick second after sliding