S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Car won't Move after Brake Rotor Install

Old 01-06-2004, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't Move after Brake Rotor Install

Last week my friend tried to install a set of Drilled / Slotted Rotors that he bought from ebay. He has a 300ZX. The car did not want to move. Someone at the shop said it needs to break in, so he tried harder. He managed to move it about 8ft. Then we started to see smoke (clutch burning) we stopped.

The calipers grided into the rotors.

The stock rotors are back on now. But we are going to a brake shop to resurface the drilled rotors. should fit after that. The shop said you always have to resurface any new rotor.

My question is on our s2's, do we have to resurface new rotors. I want to get a set, but before install, will i have to resurface. All of you that did install slotted and drilled rotors, did you resurface. if not what brand did you put in?

Old 01-06-2004, 05:30 PM

As far as I know you never have to resurface a new rotor. My guess would be you did not push the pistons in the calipers back in after you reinstalled the pads.
Old 01-06-2004, 05:35 PM

The pistons were pushed in. As stated, the calipers grinded into the rotor, not the pads.
Old 01-06-2004, 05:47 PM

The calipers never touch the rotor, the pads touch the rotor to stop the car and the calilper holds the pad. Unless the pads are very very thin the caliper should not touch the rotor.

If you were able to get the caliper over the rotor and tighten things up did you spin the axle to see if it would turn freely? It should if you were able to get the cliper back on.

If it did and doesn't now then there is a problem with the master cycliner or brake lines...

hope that helps you narrow it down.
Old 01-06-2004, 06:15 PM

Originally posted by BlitzSRM
The pistons were pushed in. As stated, the calipers grinded into the rotor, not the pads.
They ground on the circumference? If so, are the rotors the same diameter? Or do they rub on the face of the rotor. Is the offset right? Something ain't right here.
Old 01-07-2004, 12:35 AM

They rub on the surface of the rotor. A corner of the caliper rubbed. We fixed it interference, by griding just a little. The calipers went on the rotor everything bolted up. The Rotors were from ebay, really cheap....They were thicker then the stock rotor.
Old 01-07-2004, 12:40 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SonTon2003
The calipers never touch the rotor, the pads touch the rotor to stop the car and the calilper holds the pad.
Old 01-07-2004, 02:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is not normal and is strong evidence that these rotors are not suited for your friend's car. If it were my car I would immediately remove them and contact the eBay seller for a refund. Even if they won't accept them back because you machined them already, I'd still remove them. The braking system is the LAST place I'd buy "cheap" components for.

Do it now - take them off and use the OEM rotors until your friend can afford higher quality replacements that fit and work properly.
Old 01-07-2004, 04:23 AM

Normal rotors just bolt right up if they are made for your car. No machining is needed for brand new rotors. Rotors must be of a certain thickness overall, this is to ensure that that they can be measured and machined later to a certain depth and be deamed safe.

I agree with CoralDoc, don't skimp on the parts that save your life.
Old 01-07-2004, 06:02 AM

sounds like the calipers are stuck. take them to autozone for a core charge on rebuilt calipers. happens sometimes when you retract the calipers, especially on ones several years old.

Quick Reply: Car won't Move after Brake Rotor Install