S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Changing the A/C Micron Filter (Pics)

Old 08-25-2003, 08:48 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Changing the A/C Micron Filter (Pics)

I believe Honda recommends that the A/C micron filter be changed every 30k miles and with GOOD reason. Look at mine after 50k miles! Simply hideous. Expect to pay nearly $30 for the filter alone, but decline the Honda dealer from performing the actual service. Somehow, the dealerships claim that the A/C filter is a time consuming job. This pictorial guide will simply show you that it's a piece of cake. I changed the filter in less than 15 minutes. Thanks go out to ricosuave for taking some of these pics for me.

First, take out the rivet snaps by pulling up straight. Be mindful that they will fly out, so be ready to catch them. I broke one clip and need to order one at my Honda dealer now, but they are realtively inexpensive.

After you remove the rivet snaps, simply remove the molding and pull up on the plastic cap.

Pull up on the little tab (in front of the filter housing) and the filter will slide right out.

Remove the housing from around the filter. It's easy to slide out.

A side by side comparison makes it easy to see how effective this filter is.

You pretty much install the new filter and re-install. A very easy maintenance job you can do yourself, very quickly. The "smell" from my A/C at start up is now gone too.

Super Special Thanks to buri73 for submitting this write up too... [rant]stupid, creepy ClubPhoto...[/rant]

I checked my cabin filter today. Here are few pictures to get you by until airgate updates the first page.

1. Location of the filter.

2. I used Destiny2002's guide to take off the weather strip. It is located on middle of first page. You only need to take out 3~4 taps.

3. Weather strip taken out and holes for taps can be seen.
Name:  688.jpg
Views: 3237
Size:  129.8 KB

4. Removed weather strip.
Name:  689.jpg
Views: 3165
Size:  84.0 KB

5. Lift up the cover and slide the filter out.
Name:  690.jpg
Views: 4708
Size:  80.8 KB

6. Replace filter and put everything together. Have a

[EDIT]

If the cost of a replacement filter is too much, or if you just like to make your own replacement parts if you can, then here is a thread on how to make your own filter.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=676208
Old 08-25-2003, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice write up airgate

i too just changed my a/c filter not too long ago at 70,000 miles. i tell you that fliter looked hideous when i took it out. glad i did it too.

i would also get that nasty "smell" everytime i open the vents but now everything is gone.
Old 08-26-2003, 12:00 AM

Cool deal! Nice pics of the install!! Hopefully my dealer will have them in stock; I'm way past the service date of the filter.

But the big question is, is a microfilter such a necessity in a convertible that's mostly driven with open roof?

///Robin
Old 08-26-2003, 01:34 AM

I thought this was the cabin air filter. It's also the air conditioner filter???
Old 08-26-2003, 07:45 AM

is it just me, or when you turn on the a/c(even on a new s2000), there is some kind of musky smell...is this normal?

oh sometimes when its really humid and i turn on the a/c, "fog" starts pouring out of the vents but goes away after a couple of seconds...anyone notice this?
Old 08-26-2003, 08:36 AM

Yes I have noticed this. I just hit 30k and I have that funky smell going on when I use my AC. I am going to change my filter as soon as the Dealership get them in stock.
Old 08-26-2003, 08:42 AM

I think you can get them cheaper at H&A. I get most of my stuff there. One of the sponsors of this board. All Honda parts.
Old 08-26-2003, 08:45 AM

http://www.handa-accessories.com/s2000maint.html

Here ya go.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:09 AM

Received 766 Likes on 457 Posts

Nice writeup!

On the H&A site, we're looking at the cabin filter element, correct?
Old 08-26-2003, 10:35 AM

Originally posted by TepEvan
Nice writeup!

On the H&A site, we're looking at the cabin filter element, correct?
Correct. I still have one in the bag in the garage. Looks exactly like the one in the picture above. Never did put it in though as I can still feel quite a breeze coming in through the vents, and the manual says to replace the filter when you "notice a decrease in air flow". And they are ridiculously expensive for what it is....pleated paper in a plastic frame.

Quick Reply: Changing the A/C Micron Filter (Pics)