S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

clunk/popping noise from steering

Old 09-23-2010, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clunk/popping noise from steering

i'm hearing a loud clunk or popping sound coming from the front when turning the wheel at low to no speed, like when parallel parking. i can reproduce the sound by turning the wheel quickly in one direction or back when stopped, but if i turn it slowly it doesn't always make a loud sound.

i'm guessing it's from the steering rack, but i suppose it could be from any part of the front suspension. i know it's not the lower control arms, since the noise appeared before i had them replaced (alignment bolts were seized). the steering rack end ball joints were also replaced due to the boots being torn/rotted for several months.

it's lowered on swift springs if that makes a difference for this issue.

any ideas on what might be causing this noise? any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think i have exact same noise. Does it happen only when you turn to the left?
I'm losing my mind, i checked all front end, everything is tight. I even peeled the undercoating to check for spot welds breaking at the upper control mounts as honda has a bulletin for it. All good, no movement.
I even used the chassis ears, i connected it to the frame rail under the hood near the strut tower. Noise is definitely coming or ecoing in there. But i can't find anything.

Someone must have had the same problem.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:39 PM

i get the noise from turning both directions.
also, i can only reproduce this when there is weight on the tires. i could not reproduce the sound when i had it up on jacks.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:29 PM

Lift your car and check or have it checked for

-worn terminals.
-worn ball joint.
-worn bushing.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:11 PM

Did you read my previous post?
Old 09-25-2010, 10:24 AM

I have the same problem...
Old 09-25-2010, 10:24 AM

groove d, is your car lowered at all? or any other kind of mods?

i think i need to figure out if mine issue is dependent on weight being on the car, or the angle of the suspension/steering rack. unfortunately i dont have enough floor jacks to try lifting the car and then trying to raise the control arms right now.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:38 AM

Someone else any imput? I can't believe no one had this before.

Yes my car is lowered, i had the car on the hoist and checked everything. As i said before, honda has a tech tip for it. Upper control arm brackets spot welds come loose. However, i checked mine and they are ok.
I don't think it's the coilovers since i have the tool, it's called chassis ears. You connect a clamp with a wire to the area you think has a noise. Then through the earphones you listen to the noise. My strut didn't make any noise. I hear the noise when i put the clamp on the frame rail inside the hood near the strut tower. I also connected it to the front of the strut tower on the frame rail and the side that is closer to the firewall was making the noise.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you re torqued your axle nuts to 220 ft. lbs? They came under torqued from the factory and make clicking, popping noises if not torqued down properly
Old 09-27-2010, 05:59 PM

sorry, axle nuts only affect the rear wheels when the car is in motion. i'm talking about a sound coming from the front due to turning the steering wheel - when the car is not in motion.

Quick Reply: clunk/popping noise from steering