S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clunk when disengaging clutch moving slowly

Old 07-13-2011, 05:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wadzii
look around the big diff mounts in the rear, they may be busted. If they are you will see some nasty fluid around the mount. Those things are liquid filled.

Also, on the issue about how to torque the axle nuts.. pop the center cap out of the wheel, bolt it on, put the car back on the ground, set the e-brake or have someone hold the brake pedal then torque away.

It is curious to me, the front uses the exact same wheel bearing and the preload on that is 247ft/lbs. (IIRC)
I cant imagine those mounts making this kind of noise. It's far to "metallic"-like sound to be that, I belive. The sound is also louder when going slower (i mean _slower_ than regular reversing out of the garage), when you're slipping on the clutch. I'ts not that noticable if you fully engage the cluth before you disengage it.

I also checked my mount's 1-2 weeks ago when installing my diffuser, and they looked fine.
The strange thing is that it's not just 1 single metallic "click", it's like a fading-out metallic "bouncing" sound as you can hear in the video.

EDIT:
Maybe i should add that the sound is not there on a cold start, only when it's hot. So therefore I belive it must have something to do with the gearbox/differential internals since their oil viscosity changes with the temp, and the heat would not effect the behaviour of the clutch I belive... so I think the clutch is ruled out.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:18 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I can say that I have a liquid filled diff mount that has leaked out and do not have a clunk when I back up or put the car into revers, MY01 with 56k miles, stock
Old 07-21-2011, 05:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP, it might be your diff carrier... i had the same clunking noise going forward and backwards at 2mph to 4mph and quickly disengaging the clutch. (like i stated in the previous post)

so, a little over 2 months ago, i had a clicking noise from the diff when i'm slowing down in neutral, and only in neutral, where it doesn't happen when i was accel or decel in gear.

since i'm still under warranty, i took the car in. found out the pinion gear is cracked. got that along with the final drive gear replaced. got the car back, the clunking noise was still there when i forward and backwards at 2mph to 4mph and quickly disengaging the clutch.

drove on it for 1k miles, diff started leaking and whining at 40+mph... took it back to the dealer, they replaced the differential carrier assembly. what they told me was, driving the car hard stretches the assembly.

after i got the car back from getting the differential carrier assembly replaced, i noticed the clunking noise is gone.

so, in summary. it could be your diff if you drive the car hard.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:02 AM

I have similar noise to when in reverse backing into my parking spot. Any updates in terms of what is causing it?
Old 09-13-2011, 07:08 AM

i have the same exact noise!!!! the wierd thing is that my diff is a built puddy mod stage 2 diff. its strong and still works but i get this sound. ive checked the bolts and any play when i installed the diff and everything seems tight. after weeks of searching i saw a post saying we have sticky LSDs which is causing it.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:25 AM

Just did this to my CR and Billman was right
all S2K's need their axle nuts to be tightened to 230 ft/lbs
mine definitely moved from the 12 o'clock position
Name:  bluethumb.gif
Views: 460
Size:  400 Bytes
Old 09-19-2011, 02:01 PM

Did you tighten it off the ground? Was the brake enough to hold it?

I had a wheel bearing go out because I torques an axle nut when the tire was slightly on the ground. I'm not going through that with this car.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by james0933
Did you tighten it off the ground? Was the brake enough to hold it?
I was off the ground, car in gear & e-brake
as long as the original stake mark goes from 12 o' clock to 2 o' clock you're good
Name:  bluethumb.gif
Views: 465
Size:  400 Bytes
Old 09-19-2011, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Billman250
found it for ya:

Axle nuts not tight enough from factory. Covers all s2ks, 2000-2009. Even if you have no issues, all s2ks should have the "Axle nut tsb" performed. Cars that have not had it done are almost certain to develop shifting hubs, then worn hubs, then destroyed bearings.

First off, DO NOT buy new nuts...you'll see why soon.

The nut has a bent over part called a stake. The staked part of the nut is bent into a slot on the axle. This is a safety so the nut cant come loose. Using a hammer and special shaped chisel, or other hard tool, un-stake the nut.

Remove the nut, and grease the face of the nut (NOT the threads) with a thin coat of wheel bearing grease. (note: the nut MUST be greased or the torque setting is useless)

Re-install the nut, and torque it to 220.

On ORIGINAL nut AND TORQUE, IF DONE CORRECTLY, the staked part of the nut will have moved from 12 oclock to 2 oclock. On older cars, it can even go to 3 oclock.

Re-stake the nut in its new position with a hammer and dull chisel.

Good Info! Thanks Billman250
Old 10-09-2011, 06:25 PM

what if my axle nuts are at the 4 oclock on the passenger and 6 oclock on the drivers side? should i go by a tq wrench and a socket? also what mm of socket should i get?

Quick Reply: Clunk when disengaging clutch moving slowly