S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clunk when disengaging clutch moving slowly

Old 07-05-2011, 09:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clunk when disengaging clutch moving slowly

I have a MY03 with 20,000 miles that I picked up less than a month ago. I noticed this issue the day I brought it home.

When I pull the car into the garage after a drive, I slowly ease the clutch(garage has little clearance on the sides), and when I disengage the clutch, I hear a thunk-ing for a split second. It is some kind of drivetrain lash, but I'm having trouble figuring out what it could be. It seems to make the noise more when backing out of the garage, using reverse.

I thought maybe motor mounts, but I replicated the sound with the hood open, and saw no abnormal engine movement.

I checked the torque on the motor mounts, subframe, and differential mounts when I first picked the car up.

It seems that the noise is more pronounced after a long drive, leading me to think that it is either a rubber bushings that softens up OR its somehow fluid-related, but I don't know what that could be.

Besides this, the car feels solid; shifts solid and drives great. Just not sure what this clunking noise could be. Any ideas?

Thanks!

- Connor
Old 07-06-2011, 05:02 AM

Received 1,249 Likes on 760 Posts

FIRST THING...axle nut torque, or axle nut TSB as i call it. Very likely your problem. search it, I have a good post about it.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:03 AM

found it for ya:

Axle nuts not tight enough from factory. Covers all s2ks, 2000-2009. Even if you have no issues, all s2ks should have the "Axle nut tsb" performed. Cars that have not had it done are almost certain to develop shifting hubs, then worn hubs, then destroyed bearings.

First off, DO NOT buy new nuts...you'll see why soon.

The nut has a bent over part called a stake. The staked part of the nut is bent into a slot on the axle. This is a safety so the nut cant come loose. Using a hammer and special shaped chisel, or other hard tool, un-stake the nut.

Remove the nut, and grease the face of the nut (NOT the threads) with a thin coat of wheel bearing grease. (note: the nut MUST be greased or the torque setting is useless)

Re-install the nut, and torque it to 220.

On ORIGINAL nut AND TORQUE, IF DONE CORRECTLY, the staked part of the nut will have moved from 12 oclock to 2 oclock. On older cars, it can even go to 3 oclock.

Re-stake the nut in its new position with a hammer and dull chisel.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:04 AM

I am even questioning if 220 is enough. Next axle nut tsb I will check on it.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250
FIRST THING...axle nut torque, or axle nut TSB as i call it. Very likely your problem. search it, I have a good post about it.

Thanks. I was planning on doing this in a few days, but I didn't know that this sound could be caused by that.

I'll update this after I do the axle nuts, thanks.

- Connor
Old 07-06-2011, 06:41 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have this same problem... Are there any pictures to locate the axle nut?
Old 07-06-2011, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by 06Estukay

The live under the center caps of your rear wheels. Take your wheels of and you'll see them.

Billman, what is your technique for doing these? Jack the rear end up, e-brake on and torque the nuts? I can see the e-brake not wanting to hold up to 220 ft-lbs, is it safe to have the car in gear when torquing the nuts? I don't want to do any damage to the trans/diff. ...then I have to get my hands on a torque wrench that goes up that high!
Old 07-06-2011, 08:23 AM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chugs
Originally Posted by 06Estukay' timestamp='1309963280' post='20751323
...then I have to get my hands on a torque wrench that goes up that high!

You could use an impact gun with a 220 ft lb torque extension. That's what I use since I don't have a torque wrenche that goes that high.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:38 PM

UPDATE:

So I just did the rear axle nut TSB, torqued the rear nuts to 220ft/lb with high-temp grease on the face of the nut. The spiked spot moved to about 1:30 on the passenger side and to about 1 on the driver side.

Went for a drive, got home, and the noise is still there. I can also feel a thunk through my seat and steering wheel in sync with the noise. Sound to me like a blown diff mount, it feels like the diff is moving.

The peculiar thing is that it only happens in reverse. I try to re-create it going forwards and the noise just doesn't happen.

I took a video in hopes that I could see the diff moving or the halfshafts moving, but I can't see anything. Check out this clip for yourself and let me know what you think.

The noise happens when I let the clutch IN(disengaging it). Turn up the volume to hear the noise. (720p version is much better)

I might try putting my 5D under her to take some video, but I'm not crazy about driving on top of some expensive camera equipment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ84Jg2uNfk

Thanks for helping!

-Connor
Old 07-07-2011, 01:36 PM

Nobody?

Quick Reply: Clunk when disengaging clutch moving slowly