S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch free play - help!

Old 06-22-2018, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch free play - help!

Hey guys,
So this morning I went to jump in my new-to-me 2004, and the clutch had free play all the way to the foor so that I can't get the shifter in gear. I'm stuck at work but had my wife check the clutch fluid reservoir and apparently it's way low. Very below the min line. Could this be the reason for my problem? Can I just top it off with some DOT 3 and maybe it will resolve the issue? I know there are probably many possibilities here so I appreciate your guys' insight.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id definitely bleed the clutch master cylinder and not just top it off. There is a good DIY on here for this.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-br...method-993927/

Hope it helps.
The following users liked this post:
benboosted (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 09:41 AM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

That's not freeplay. That's just lack if hydraulic pressure.

Topping it off *might* allow enough fluid to work its way into the system and get you home. But...maybe not.

You will need to bleed the clutch hydraulics completely and thoroughly to resolve the issue.

THEN set freeplay mechanically as needed.

Where is it leaking? The usual spot, near the pedal/firewall junction? Or is there some external leak that needs to be fixed first?
benboosted (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 09:44 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

What you describe is not usually described as "free play." When folks speak of clutch free play they are generally referencing the distance the pedal travels before making contact with the clutch mechanism. Free play is adjustable and there is a good video and a thread or two here on that adjustment. Something to do after you sort out what is going on with your clutch. Sounds like you might have a leak in your system somewhere.
benboosted (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by WeS2kay
Id definitely bleed the clutch master cylinder and not just top it off. There is a good DIY on here for this.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-br...method-993927/

Hope it helps.
Thanks for the link!!! Been watching youtube videos on it all morning but I'll definitely check out that DIY
Old 06-22-2018, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by B serious
That's not freeplay. That's just lack if hydraulic pressure.

Topping it off *might* allow enough fluid to work its way into the system and get you home. But...maybe not.

You will need to bleed the clutch hydraulics completely and thoroughly to resolve the issue.

THEN set freeplay mechanically as needed.

Where is it leaking? The usual spot, near the pedal/firewall junction? Or is there some external leak that needs to be fixed first?
Copy that, I'll do the full bleed procedure to avoid any more problems. You know I don't know where it's leaking I'll have to get it on jackstands this evening when I get home from work to check it out. But thanks for the tip on the usual suspect I'm brand new to this platform so little tidbits like that are very helpful.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by rpg51
What you describe is not usually described as "free play." When folks speak of clutch free play they are generally referencing the distance the pedal travels before making contact with the clutch mechanism. Free play is adjustable and there is a good video and a thread or two here on that adjustment. Something to do after you sort out what is going on with your clutch. Sounds like you might have a leak in your system somewhere.
Thank you and sorry for the terminology slip. I'm bummed to have an issue like this rear it's head just a couple days after buying it, but I'm determined to do whatever it takes to dial things in.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:21 AM

Can I use any DOT 3 clutch fluid, or will anything other than Honda stuff be ill advised?
Old 06-22-2018, 10:34 AM
CMK

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

From everything I've read on this site, as long as it's DOT3 you're fine. It's all about making sure the lines are free of air and that the fluid's clean.
benboosted (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 11:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One of the most common places to check to see if the CMC is going bad is if you see a sludgy build up from inside the cabin by the clutch pedal. If it is leaking, you will need to replace it sooner rather than later.
benboosted (06-22-2018)

Quick Reply: Clutch free play - help!