S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch free play - help!

Old 06-26-2018, 11:46 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

Yes, discard old, dirty fluid. Do not drink it.

Ok, so my understanding of how dirty = leak is like this. Dirty fluid has a lot of particles floating around. Some of these stick to rod as it slides through the seal. Not all of them get wiped off by seal, and these sort of push the seal up as they slide under the seal. This leaves a small gap, and fluid can leak out. Its as if the particles make the rod no longer round in that spot.

If fluid is dirty enough, for long enough, some of these either damage the seal or stick so thoroughly to rod they're staying put for life (or both). Hence only recourse is to replace MC (or replace seal and rod, but no rebuild kits available).

Keep fluid clean, mc lives long, leak free life.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Yes, discard old, dirty fluid. Do not drink it.

Ok, so my understanding of how dirty = leak is like this. Dirty fluid has a lot of particles floating around. Some of these stick to rod as it slides through the seal. Not all of them get wiped off by seal, and these sort of push the seal up as they slide under the seal. This leaves a small gap, and fluid can leak out. Its as if the particles make the rod no longer round in that spot.

If fluid is dirty enough, for long enough, some of these either damage the seal or stick so thoroughly to rod they're staying put for life (or both). Hence only recourse is to replace MC (or replace seal and rod, but no rebuild kits available).

Keep fluid clean, mc lives long, leak free life.
change fluid every oil change, or when it gets murky, if you had alot of sludge you may want to do it 2-3 times between oil changes, thats what im doing and my fluid keeps turning greenish black, and yes i have done a gravity bleed, guess just cleaning up all this gunk in here
Old 07-19-2018, 05:21 AM
CMK

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Well I replaced my CMC and did a full clutch fluid purge. Clutch engagement is better than it's been in the last 6 years I've owned the car. Fluid was awful.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:50 AM

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Master/Slave

My 15 year old CMC is leaking and I'm going to have it replaced - ordered OEM from Majestic, they really are the best. So, someone I know who works on Porsches said that when you replace the CMC in those cars you also should replace the slave because they tend to blow out if you just replace the master. Since nobody seems to have mentioned that here, I assume that replacing the slave at the same time is not necessary/desirable.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:07 AM

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by A4gsr
My 15 year old CMC is leaking and I'm going to have it replaced - ordered OEM from Majestic, they really are the best. So, someone I know who works on Porsches said that when you replace the CMC in those cars you also should replace the slave because they tend to blow out if you just replace the master. Since nobody seems to have mentioned that here, I assume that replacing the slave at the same time is not necessary/desirable.
Correct. I have never seen or heard of a slave failing in my life.
The following users liked this post:
A4gsr (01-11-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 01:04 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

...and there is a good chance your MC didn't need to be replaced as well. Often leaking can be cured with clean fluid.

Once the new one is installed, at every oil change, suction all fluid out of MC resevoir, and replace with fresh. It will circulate through the system. Fluid will stay clean and you won't ave any more leaks.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:57 AM

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
...and there is a good chance your MC didn't need to be replaced as well. Often leaking can be cured with clean fluid.

Once the new one is installed, at every oil change, suction all fluid out of MC resevoir, and replace with fresh. It will circulate through the system. Fluid will stay clean and you won't ave any more leaks.
The fluid change was the first move my tech made (he's a good one) and we kept our eyes on it. Began to leak again, so he tried the fluid change a second time. Still leaked, and with the amount of pressure it was taking to depress the clutch, we decided to replace it.

I'm sure you're right about the fluid change, and the fault is with my ignorance. I'm the original owner of this '04 and I think the fluid has been changed maybe twice - last time was by Billman a few years ago. I'm religious about engine, transmission, and differential fluids, but I just ignored the clutch - but now I know better.