S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch/Gear Problem

Old 12-21-2006, 03:33 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found the grease on my car too bud......and are you CERTAIN you bled the clutch right? Its only 30 bucks for a pro to do it at firestone. And the feeling wont be gradual, it should go back to normal instantly. I dont agree with spitfire saying there shouldnt be a leak at all...because i havent lost a drop since i bled my clutch, but before it leaked a bit, but only when driving insane in the twisties....like i said. Yes the system is a sealed system, but its possible for a gasket or something to leak very little under intense situations. Tally thay over a few years and you have my problem!

P.S its been 1500 miles since i bled my clutch, and it feels the same, before i had what you had....just do it!
Old 12-22-2006, 12:24 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Hydraulic systems are known to "sweat", yes.
But leak.. no, not with good seals / cylinders / pistons.

davidvonyork Posted on Dec 17 2006, 04:19 PM
somtimes during extreme driving and at certain angles the master/slave will leak some liquid out.
The clutch hydrolics should not leak at any angle IMO.
If you have to add fluid after a spirited drive or a track day.. you have a leak IMO.

jstar Posted on Dec 21 2006, 11:52 PM
Anything I should know about with taking the slave off?
Your hands wil get dirty
And maybe read here:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...l=sticky+clutch
And here:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=441210

Don't push the clutch pedal with the slave removed!

Open the bleeder with a spanner while the slave is still on the trans and then close it by hand, that way its easier to open by hand with the slave in your other hand.

With one hand you're able (I was) to push the slave piston (with the push rod) all the way back in so there is very little fluid left inside the slave and less possibility for trapped air to hide.

While pushing the piston back in open the bleeder with your other hand.
Maybe you'll see little pockets of air coming out, if you do then that was your problem.
When the piston is fully in keep it there and gravity bleed for another 10 seconds or so, then close the bleeder by hand.

Now slowy let the piston come out (its spring loaded) but I won't come out all the way, don't worry, just let it go slow.

Top up the clutch fluid reservoir.

Perform procedure again, maybe once.

Put some fresh EP grease on the slave push rod and install the slave again.

Test.

Old 12-27-2006, 09:16 AM

So I did not get a chance to bleed the line yet. I did however meet my new neighbor and as it turns out he is a mechanic for Jaguar. After explaining the symptoms to him he said his initial thought would be that it's the slave that has gone bad. He recommended replacing the slave and the lines since it sounded like a leak to him. Before I spend the money I think I will see if he can drive the car and let me know his thoughts. It always pays to know a good mechanic!
Old 01-03-2007, 11:05 AM

I got the slave and installed it on Saturday. Greased the ball and socket ends. Bleed the line. The clutch still feels the same. We took the old slave apart and you could see wear on the piston wall. No other sign of damage. I took the car out for a spin after I was done. The car still bucked as if i were hitting the rev limiter, but eventually settled down. When I got home my neighbor was back out (the mechanic) so I let him take the car out. When he got in the car the first thing he said was that the clutch felt like the throwout bearing was stuck. He drove it but we couldn't reproduce the "bucking". The clutch is still not back to normal and today the car was doing the "bucking" yet again in 3rd gear. I'm at a loss...
Old 01-03-2007, 11:36 AM

Lets see if I can explain what kind of "bucking" I was getting with my car.

Imagine leaving your car in first gear, clutch pedal up and you slow the car down to about 1 or 2 miles per hour by the brakes. The car will jerk and buck like it was trying not to die.

Now in my case with the pedel pushed to the floor and the shifter in first the car would still have a sign on the bucking and jerking as if the transmission was still getting power sent through it.

I will give you the advise of bleeding the clutch very well. You said that you have been following my thread. Both spiftfireS and billman had two great ways of bleeding the system. I did both. Billmans was a little tricky but the best way I found was to take the slave cylinder off and actually pump the salve ball all the way in about 4 to five times.

Good luck!
Old 01-03-2007, 01:03 PM

Thanks for the response s2kBryan916. Seems I have had similar symptoms to what you describe. When the problem was at it's worst that's exactly what it felt like in any gear. But it seems that once I bled the line (this is the second time in two weeks) everything returns to normal, then the "bucking" or loss of power returns slowly. The last time we bleed the line all we did was open the bleeder till the fluid started flowing out in a steady stream. No pumping, no "gravity" bleed as this was the recommendation of my neighbor the mechanic. He said Honda put time into designing the slave and there is a reason why the nipple is located where it is.
So I'm sort of left in an interesting position of not really knowing what the problem is...I still don't think it's air in the lines. I think there is a bigger problem.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:21 PM

Well if you have the ability to take it apart like I did maybe you too have a surprise hiding in the clutch.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:14 AM

I think the clutch is shot. I went out today at lunch & barely made it back home. The car started the bucking again, then it was as if the power was cut in half. The engine was spinning, but it was as if the power wasn't getting to the wheels. I stopped at a gas station and when I started the car back up, I pulled out in first and the car stalled on me with the clutch pedal disengaged. I was able to nurse it back home (only a few miles) but it was fighting me hard...same kind of symptoms that s2kBryan916 described. I have an email into hardtop guy for a quote on the parts.

s2kBryan916,
What kind of set up did you get?

Thanks,
-j
Old 01-05-2007, 01:58 AM

I replaced everything with all stock parts. (resurfaced flywheel) Hardtopguy.com

The car is now back together and feeling great.
I honestly dont know how many cases there are of what happend to my car?

I would be curious to see what is really wrong with your car?!
Old 01-05-2007, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by s2kBryan916,Jan 5 2007, 05:58 AM
I replaced everything with all stock parts. (resurfaced flywheel) Hardtopguy.com

The car is now back together and feeling great.
I honestly dont know how many cases there are of what happend to my car?

I would be curious to see what is really wrong with your car?!
Any specific reason why you didn't go with the CompTech Flywheel that the hardtopguy sells in his clutch package? Did you resurface yourself?
-j

Quick Reply: Clutch/Gear Problem