S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch slip after CDV Removal

Old 04-25-2017, 06:43 PM

Received 111 Likes on 71 Posts

So I was able to spin the rod clockwise quite a bit before I encountered resistance, which to me says I had enough freeplay that that wasn't causing the slip.

Regardless I'm throwing a new clutch in on Saturday along with a Fidenza flywheel, at least I'll have the peace of mind the clutch has been done and I'll basically never have to do it again.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:04 AM

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by maranelloboy05
So I was able to spin the rod clockwise quite a bit before I encountered resistance, which to me says I had enough freeplay that that wasn't causing the slip.

Regardless I'm throwing a new clutch in on Saturday along with a Fidenza flywheel, at least I'll have the peace of mind the clutch has been done and I'll basically never have to do it again.
Post some pics of what comes out
Old 04-26-2017, 08:12 AM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

Originally Posted by Soviet
There is a decent difference in resistance in the rod freeplay and clutch master cylinder freeplay. I don't recommend doing this if you're not familiar with adjusting clutch pedal freeplay but you can actually feel these two resistances by spinning the master cylinder rod clockwise. The second you hit a slight amount of resistance you've eliminated rod freeplay. If you keep going further you will be removing the master cylinder freeplay. Once clutch master cylinder freeplay is gone it will be incredibly difficult to spin the master cylinder rod. At this point you're releasing the clutch..

I'd only recommend removing the rod freeplay...
To add to this excellent detail, you can also do this visually. As you turn the rod with your fingers, you can see the moment that the rod starts to press the back of the MC piston, as the piston starts to move inward as the rod is tightened. So you can back it off again to the point rod just touching piston.

You can also use this visual to tune your feel. Note the change in feel as you see the piston first start to move. Then you'll know for sure the feel being referred to above.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Soviet
Post some pics of what comes out
I actually hope the disc is trashed, because it means I'm not spending a ton of money for nothing.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:28 AM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

The disc is usually what goes bad, and not because it's worn down or anything but rather because it glazes over. When you take it apart I bet you there's still plenty of meat on the clutch disk, once the friction material glazes over it starts to slip. You probably only need new bearings, and a new friction disk. I'm sure you already know about using the right grease in the right places, and how it's a good idea to replace the release bearing guide sleeve. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:22 AM

Thanks, I certainly don't trust myself to do it right. A couple friends (one used to be a Honda tech) agreed to do it with my help for filling up their liquor cabinet. I'm replacing everything with new oem aside from resurfacing a used AP1 flywheel, decided I didn't want to risk the Fidenza being too light since I'm in stop and go traffic a lot. Not super happy to be doing it since I've only had the car 3 months, but at least I'll know it's been done and never have to mess with it for another 10 years.
Old 04-29-2017, 01:42 PM

Welp, slip was NOT due to CDV removal nor rod adjustment. Disc was smooth as silk.
Old 04-29-2017, 04:52 PM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

Oh wow! Down to the rivets, not something you see every day.
Old 04-29-2017, 06:18 PM

I have no idea how it held on as long as it did. The consensus is that the CDV kind of hid the slippage. But it held pretty decently all the way to the end.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Woah !! You got a full life out of that disc. Good luck on your install

Quick Reply: Clutch slip after CDV Removal