S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Cold Rough Start, Coolant Leak Followed

Old 01-15-2020, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Rough Start, Coolant Leak Followed

As the title states. I have a 2000 S2K with ~92K miles and live in the cold Midwest. It was probably 0 with windchill today. I get out of class and the car takes 4 or 5 times to start but it was very rough. There was a CEL but I figured it was for a false read of a misfire (due to rough start). Got home and there was a lot of coolant leaking. There is still some left in the system and the temp gauge never got above the halfway point. As I was getting to my garage the car began revving from 1.5K-2.5K RPM over and over. Aside from the coolant leak has anyone else experienced this or have any insight? Obviously going to troubleshoot the leak and replace the bad part but anything else I should be informed of?
Old 01-15-2020, 04:31 PM

Received 416 Likes on 347 Posts

Just a WAG, if your coolant is leaking out of your idle air control valve it would explain the fluctuating idle. First step is to determine where the leak is coming from.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m definitely going to keep that in mind when I check it out. Does the cold usually effect S2000s like this? I mainly attribute this to the cold because over the years I’ve owned, I’ve seen a noticeable difference when trying to start in the cold vs good summer weather.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:18 AM

Received 1,138 Likes on 1,001 Posts

All vehicles will start differently in very cold weather mainly due to low battery power. Battery warmers are common in extremely cold climates.

Battery warmer (example). Part of an extreme cold package and available separately.

Wind chill only affects living things like bare skin. Cars don't get any colder than ambient temperature in wind.

Shameless plagerized:
On a recent cold morning in Washington DC, I looked up the weather. The temperature was 38°F, but with winds occasionally gusting to 8 miles per hour, the wind chill was officially 32°F. Freezing.

Except it wasn't actually freezing. There weren't any puddles on the streets turning into ice. The precipitation that was falling was clearly coming down as rain. And Weather Underground reported that it "felt like" 36°F. The wind chill indicator gave a misleading picture of what things were really like outside.

There's a good reason for that: Wind chill simply doesn't mean what most people think it means.

The wind chill index is designed for a very precise, very narrow purpose. "It was developed solely to assess the risk of frostbite on unclothed parts of the body," says Krzysztof Blazejczyk, a Polish researcher who studies the thermodynamics of the human body. In other words: If the temperature is 38°F and the wind chill is 32°F, that means you'd develop frostbite on exposed skin just as quickly as you would if the temperature was 32°F and there was no wind. That's it. This formula also assumes you'll be walking directly into a steady wind continuously, with your face totally bare.
-- Chuck

Last edited by Chuck S; 01-16-2020 at 07:25 AM.