S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Common Noise Problems with S2Ks

Old 03-19-2012, 08:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Common Noise Problems with S2Ks

Hello I am new to this forum and somewhat new to the s. I purchased a used one with 90k miles about 6 months ago and recently have replaced the clutch with a stage 2 cc. I have some rear end noise but I believe the issue might be bearings.. I inspected and I really couldnt pinpoint it while on the jacks with the wheels spinning. I'm replacing soon to eliminate that as a possibility. But this is only one of the few noise problems I'm having. There seems to be some weird buzz/noise coming from underneath the car as if something is loose but I inspected but couldnt pinpoint the problem yet again. Not to mention a sound simular to a mild rod knock, but not completely obvious. Aswell as a weird idle. Sometimes itll idle around 1k, sometimes around 700-800. I will upload video later to outline these problems.
So basically could someone just give me a breif list of noise issues with an s2k so I can eliminate some of the small problems to pinpoint the bigger ones. Car seems to be a money-pit ever since i bought but I have no intentions of getting rid of anytime soon. All these problems seem fairly small right now but are still irritating. Who might have a good place to start. Yes I have done the research and looked around. Here let me simplify.
Problems
-Engine noise simular to a mild rod knock.
-Engine has odd idle
-Engine doesnt exactly feel "smooth", cant really describe

-Noise from rear end, could be bearings. Sounds like a chirp and is obvious at 50-70 mph and 20-35 mph. Noise only changes with speed. Corning and engine rpm is not a factor.

-Transmission sounds "raspy" and rattly.

Car specs:
2001 Honda s2000
-CC Lightweight flywheel, CC clutch/pressure plate
-Airbox mod
-Invidia TP
-No major mods

Recent maintenance
-Changed diff/tranny fluid (no metal, fairly clean)
-Changed oil (same case)
-Clutch replace, with throwout and pilot bearing
-TCT Repair (sandblasted worm gear/piston)
-New ignition coils/spark plugs

Only thing I might of failed to mention is the Bypass Valve Solenoid breather is missing.

Appreciate it.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:18 PM

All i have had since buying this car is noise problems. But there is nothing wrong with my car as of right now.... So im assuming this car is just generally very loud when it comes to tranny and engine noise. This engine noise your talking about. Is it loudest under the car close to the passenger side?
Old 03-20-2012, 05:47 AM

Dunno hard to tell really ill have to look again. I'm assuming 40% of it is clutch buzz, the rest is mild mechanical issues. I'm going to hopefully replace the rear wheel bearings today and swap the buckets out to see what that does. Aswell as getting a new serpentine belt to get rid of the belt squeak. I just hate it when people ride with me when I fail to have music blasting and tell me "dude wtfzz up wit ur car mang its broken" and i have to tell them, "its just how these cars are.." so if I can eliminate some of the noise issues that I know are issues I can say without a doubt its the car.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:05 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had my current AP2 since new, with 3 miles on the ODO. I have seen so many sounds come and go. Obviously, some sounds could mean there is something wrong. But, majority of the time, it's just the character of the car.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:30 AM

It looks like you are on the right path to fixing many of those noises.

- Engine noise simular to a mild rod knock: Have you done a compression test or valve adjustment?
- Engine has odd idle: Do anything that would warrant an ECU reset?
- Engine doesnt exactly feel "smooth", cant really describe: Could it be your driving habits? Some more explanation may be in order - is it when shifting or just when you are accelerating?
- Noise from rear end, could be bearings. Sounds like a chirp and is obvious at 50-70 mph and 20-35 mph. Noise only changes with speed. Corning and engine rpm is not a factor.
- Transmission sounds "raspy" and rattly: Not sure, especially with a recent MTF change. A sound byte/vid might help, if possible. Could be the clutch buzz, but with a recent clutch change, not sure.

Also, might take some time, but perhaps reading through:
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/741...rattle-thread/
will help possibly pinpoint some of the issues.

Good luck!
Old 03-20-2012, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Reckon
It looks like you are on the right path to fixing many of those noises.

- Engine noise simular to a mild rod knock: Have you done a compression test or valve adjustment?
- Engine has odd idle: Do anything that would warrant an ECU reset?
- Engine doesnt exactly feel "smooth", cant really describe: Could it be your driving habits? Some more explanation may be in order - is it when shifting or just when you are accelerating?
- Noise from rear end, could be bearings. Sounds like a chirp and is obvious at 50-70 mph and 20-35 mph. Noise only changes with speed. Corning and engine rpm is not a factor.
- Transmission sounds "raspy" and rattly: Not sure, especially with a recent MTF change. A sound byte/vid might help, if possible. Could be the clutch buzz, but with a recent clutch change, not sure.

Also, might take some time, but perhaps reading through:
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/741...rattle-thread/
will help possibly pinpoint some of the issues.

Good luck!
I recently done the valves (TWICE in a month actually, had to redo because the first time I was using inadequate tools and did not properly adjust the valves, going over again was definately worth the trouble). No compression test yet, going to do when I get the chance. Fairly scared to do it just because im afraid of the results.. but in all honesty it should be fine. The smoothness is mostly with idle, and the rattle raspy sound it has is a contributing factor. Moving though its honestly not that bad, could just be the car. And I definitely looked through the thread, has some interesting points of noise problems I never really looked into. Ill post a video in a little while, about to replace the serpentine belt so I can remove some of the noise. I am almost for certain that the noise from the back is a wheel bearing.. I did go under the car with the wheels rolling to try to find myself but it was hard to point out, I am assuming that it will only be obvious under a load and not just free spinning. I also am going to do the cup swap for the cv axles. The damn nut for the cv axle is nearly impossible to take off it seems, especially since I dont have a neumatic impact. I really dont see why you cant swap the cups without removing the axle nuts. Should be able to just remove the lower ball joint to give you enough freeplay?

edit: Uploaded video, very slapped together but hopefully youll get the point. Only sound that is really evident is the bearing, its a low growl/chirp. And hopefully no one is too annoyed by me changing camera positions every minute.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1SsC9eX88E&feature=youtu.be[/media]
Old 03-20-2012, 04:57 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

sounds about normal, make sure you are not having any exhaust leak from that test pipe.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:03 PM

Good thing to double check^ Ill look at it when I get the chance. I made the gasket for it and it looked legit to me, but it does sound somewhat like an exhaust leak. Also idk if you can hear it in the vid but it is also somewhat noisy as soon as you let off the gas, while its still in gear, another rattly sound. When I get the chance ill lift it again and inspect everything, probably when I start on the bearing. I did find multiple bolts loose after I got the car back from the shop when they did the clutch, not to mention they forgot one of my heat shields.. Probably not bringing it back there again, although the guy there seemed fairly confident and my buddy refered me to them.. I really need to find a shop that specializes in these cars considering how they have some unique problems and setups. Great tip though ill definitely look into it.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exhaust leak sounds like a card stuck in spokes of a bicycle. I didn't notice it because of my ultra-loud jamz until a friend pointed it out. I listened and still could hear it, I'm nearly deaf in my right ear. Jacked the car up, sure enough I could feel exhaust gas from between header and TP. Screws sat TIGHT and it had a brand new gasket, so I had to put JB weld on it. No more leaks.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:30 PM

I know the threads ready to die out but I did find something very interesting. As I was following up maniacs post about the test pipe (which wasnt really leaking, put a new makeshift gasket on out of bad practice ) but I did however find one of the O2 sensors was loose (the one before the cat/tp) which I think was a major contributor in my probably. As small as it might be, I'm pretty sure a loose o2 sensor would make it run alittle weird and definitely was making a rattle. Still has the bearing issue that needs to be addressed but now I have one thing less on my list to do and I feel a lot better after that was done.. Appreciate the help.

Quick Reply: Common Noise Problems with S2Ks