S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

This is crazy, but Oil Burn? The Story of conquering phantoms.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:51 AM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Thomas Guide
Aha! Would it work better though if the car was idling so that it could pull the smoke through the system?

You also mentioned measuring the crank pressure...is this the same thing as the air/smoke test or is this something different?

i measured crank case vacuum at idle... no putting anything in the engine
Old 02-01-2019, 07:34 AM

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Deckoz
i measured crank case vacuum at idle... no putting anything in the engine
I may not be understanding (you may have answered it) but 'how' are you measuring the crank case vacuum? With what tools or gauge does one go about doing it?

(I also now understand how and where to stick the smoke...which I believe is separate from the top question.)

Thanks!
Old 02-01-2019, 01:22 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I may not be understanding (you may have answered it) but 'how' are you measuring the crank case vacuum? With what tools or gauge does one go about doing it?

(I also now understand how and where to stick the smoke...which I believe is separate from the top question.)

Thanks!
Cheapo vacuum gauge like this one https://goo.gl/cyTPCU should do the trick

Plastic-coney-pointy-nosy-thingy goes into the front breather as mentioned here https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un.../#post24549381
The following 2 users liked this post by nubbel:
Filigranas (02-01-2019), Thomas Guide (02-03-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by nubbel
Cheapo vacuum gauge like this one https://goo.gl/cyTPCU should do the trick

Plastic-coney-pointy-nosy-thingy goes into the front breather as mentioned here https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un.../#post24549381
Thanks boss, now I understand!
Old 02-07-2019, 07:19 PM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Alright folks -- cross your fingers. I have replaced the following on my AP1:
  • New oil cap gasket (old one was so flattened )
  • New dip stick (because you can't buy the gaskets -- old one was SUPER loose )
  • New PCV valve and PCV gasket ()
I have been burning oil forever, at least for the 8 years I've owned the car; it's a 2002 with 120k miles, probably burning roughly ~1 quart every 2-4k miles, depending on VTEC yo.

I'll report back.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:52 PM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by HarryD
Alright folks -- cross your fingers. I have replaced the following on my AP1:
  • New oil cap gasket (old one was so flattened )
  • New dip stick (because you can't buy the gaskets -- old one was SUPER loose )
  • New PCV valve and PCV gasket ()
I have been burning oil forever, at least for the 8 years I've owned the car; it's a 2002 with 120k miles, probably burning roughly ~1 quart every 2-4k miles, depending on VTEC yo.

I'll report back.
that's what my '03 burned when brand new, 1 quart per 3,000 miles.

the only thing that solved my oil consumption was krank vents, which restrict air flow from the breather hose into the crankcase, thereby creating a strong vacuum in the crankcase from the pcv hose. The downside to this was that it was pulling in on the seals and making a clucking noise at idle.

i've been thinking about trying to replicate the vacuum effects of the seal, but with allowing some airflow through the breather. so i'm thinking of putting a pcv valve in the breather hose. haven't tried it yet.

at this point, with 210K miles, i'm just going to top it off and let it be.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:26 AM

Received 278 Likes on 201 Posts

The O-rings at the disptick are 6 mm inner dia x 2 mm thickness, according to my meassurment. It should be possible to buy Viton replacements.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Mr.Matchbox
The O-rings at the disptick are 6 mm inner dia x 2 mm thickness, according to my meassurment. It should be possible to buy Viton replacements.
This post shows where you can buy these O-rings:

From EGbeater:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un.../#post23919818

​​​​"The OEM o-rings on my dipstick before replacement measured at exactly 9mm in diameter. The new 6mm ID x 10mm OD x 2mm thick o-rings from Advance Auto measure at right around 9.8mm when installed.

The fitment isn't 100% perfect, as the OEM sealing rings are a tiny bit thicker or "taller" so the replacement o-rings are a little loose in the groove, but this makes no difference functionally speaking. My dipstick retrofitted with the replacement 64462.1 o-rings definitely fits tighter into the tube-shaped dipstick hole in the valve cover... in fact, I have to actually twist the dipstick a little to get the first o-ring to slip into the hole, rather than just pushing straight down. I'll have to wait to see how long it takes for these new aftermarket o-rings to get cooked by heat and deform to where they're loose again.

This size metric o-ring is also available on eBay... about four bucks for a 10-pack: http://m.ebay.com/itm/O-RING-METRIC-...-/390825315123

The 64462.1 o-rings are currently $1.09 each + tax at Advance Auto. They're kept behind the counter; they're not out on the retail floor of the store."
Old 02-09-2019, 06:33 AM

Thanks boss, now I understand!
Ok...turns out I don't understand, and could really use your guys' guidance on how to measure the pressure. I purchased the gauge, and using the instructions in this thread tried both methods described and I just don't think I'm doing it right. Please see both pics below. Deckoz says to stick it into the breather tube and Car Analogy says to block off the PCV valve, look at both pictures doing both and tell me what I'm doing wrong and what I should be doing instead. In the second picture I have to stick my finger over the nozzle otherwise the car starts idling erratically. So I feel there are some steps in this process I'm missing...

Many thanks in advance:

OR:

Old 02-09-2019, 07:38 AM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

@Thomas Guide the first picture is correct. You see how the bottom outer ring needle is pointed to ~ -15hg at idle with the vacuum hose in the breather and the pcv still hooked up.

Quick Reply: This is crazy, but Oil Burn? The Story of conquering phantoms.