S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Deceleration "buzz"

Old 01-08-2019, 04:42 PM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Deceleration "buzz"

Hello everyone. Happy New Year.

I was hoping some of you could take a quick listen to this YouTube clip and give me your opinion on what you think is causing this buzzing sound while decelerating in 3rd & 2nd gears.

This video clip is not mine, but I am experiencing the exact same sound. I should also mention that a couple of days ago, for the very 1st time -and for no apparent reason- I had a really difficult time trying to get my car into reverse. I drove it around for a while and it worked fine. I still have the buzzing sound, though. I have also noticed that my clutch pedal is now beginning to slightly vibrate when shifting at high speeds. It happens once it reaches the lowest point before letting off of it.

Hoping one of you (coughBillmancoughcough) can take a look at the vid and give me some input. Thanks!
https://youtu.be/0T90aepk0Jw

Forgot to mention- this is on a bone stock 2006 s2000 with 43,000 miles.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:17 PM

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

You mean this thing?

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-se...rating-275200/

I did hear a particular sound in that clip (0:19 - 0:22). But if it's similar to yours, I suspect it's just a loose interior trim/panel that resonates in that frequency. Kind of like how sometimes a car's interior will rattle, and sometimes it just won't.

As far as the fix is concerned. I've heard from several sources and mechanics that the clutch buzz/chatter "fix" is not 100% guaranteed. It works on some cars and not on others. Either way, it's harmless.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:40 PM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

I could have sworn I responded to this.. oh wait I did in a different subforum

Mine did this for a breif time, it was the U channel under the steering wheel, not completely torqued. Would happen sporadically. does it sound like its coming from your knees?

If it is and only happens on deceleration in 2nd or 3rd, likely your dash bezel has been removed at one point, and the steering column not completely torqued
I saw your response in your local subforum. The bolts that hold the steering wheel up, Im pretty sure the two closest to you have washers..if they aren't torqued the washers vibrate at the 3800ish rpm. Anyway figured its 4 bolts just reach under the dash and check theyre tight...as if any dash lights have ever beem replaced.. the steering wheel has been dropped...
Old 01-09-2019, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo
You mean this thing?

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-se...rating-275200/

I did hear a particular sound in that clip (0:19 - 0:22). But if it's similar to yours, I suspect it's just a loose interior trim/panel that resonates in that frequency. Kind of like how sometimes a car's interior will rattle, and sometimes it just won't.
That particular sound you heard between 0:19 - 0:22...that's the SAME EXACT sound my car makes. Is that what clutch buzz sounds like? I didn't think clutch buzz was so loud. Also- in the link you provided, it says it applies to '00 - '01 models.

Thanks for responding.

Old 01-09-2019, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by Deckoz
I could have sworn I responded to this.. oh wait I did in a different subforum

I saw your response in your local subforum. The bolts that hold the steering wheel up, Im pretty sure the two closest to you have washers..if they aren't torqued the washers vibrate at the 3800ish rpm. Anyway figured its 4 bolts just reach under the dash and check theyre tight...as if any dash lights have ever beem replaced.. the steering wheel has been dropped...
Yeah appreciate you responding in both forums. Only reason I started a 2nd thread was because that other one is barely active. No one ever seems to be on there.

I'm going to check the steering column tonight when I get home.

I really hope it's the steering column or loose trim or even clutch buzz. Because I was reading a different thread about crank walk & bad thrust washers, and now I feel like I may have a ticking-time bomb on my hands.

Not sure if crank walk/bad thrust washers would cause a buzzing sound, but I did also experience that issue getting into reverse gear.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:50 AM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Check the metal heat shroud at top of engine protecting exhaust header. If the bolts are loose that can result in resonating sounds too.
2006 doubt it's clutch buzz - unless changed to an aftermarket disc.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:50 AM

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by -Tim-
That particular sound you heard between 0:19 - 0:22...that's the SAME EXACT sound my car makes. Is that what clutch buzz sounds like? I didn't think clutch buzz was so loud. Also- in the link you provided, it says it applies to '00 - '01 models.

Thanks for responding.
It specifically states 00-01 models, correct. But if you check around the forum, you'd find that this is the norm across any year of the S2000 during its production run.

0:19 - 0:22 sounds more like interior rattling that perfectly syncs up with the frequency of your motor/transmission/various other vibration (Reason why certain sounds/interior buzzes aren't heard unless you're at a specific range of RPM, because the frequency of vibration is different depending on engine operation).

But everything else, yeah sounds like clutch buzz/chatter to me.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo
But everything else, yeah sounds like clutch buzz/chatter to me.
Thanks for the input. Any ideas on what the clutch vibration could be? That popped up out of no where.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:44 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

clutch buzz is usually attributed to the clutch disc
Old 01-09-2019, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by clio
clutch buzz is usually attributed to the clutch disc
Sorry, I meant to say - Any idea on what the clutch "pedal" vibration could be.

Quick Reply: Deceleration "buzz"