S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Deceleration "buzz"

Old 01-10-2019, 01:06 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by -Tim-
Sorry, I meant to say - Any idea on what the clutch "pedal" vibration could be.
I am not a mechanic, however your issues to my mind point toward a clutch disc that's toast. Broken and/or loose clutch disc springs causing the buzz, and engaging the clutch unevenly which is what you'd feel via the clutch pedal as a pulse/vibration.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:12 PM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by clio
I am not a mechanic, however your issues to my mind point toward a clutch disc that's toast. Broken and/or loose clutch disc springs causing the buzz, and engaging the clutch unevenly which is what you'd feel via the clutch pedal as a pulse/vibration.
Got it. Makes sense. Thanks again for your input.

if the slight pedal vibration is related to something minor like loose clutch springs, then I really have nothing to worry about. I can easily live with the buzzing sound and slight pedal vibration until the time comes to replace the clutch.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:12 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by -Tim-
Sorry, I meant to say - Any idea on what the clutch "pedal" vibration could be.
Originally Posted by clio
Do you hear a grinding noise when the vibration starts?

Grinding on depressed clutch is usually associated with a bad throw-out-bearing, no?
Old 01-11-2019, 01:47 AM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by nubbel
Do you hear a grinding noise when the vibration starts?

Grinding on depressed clutch is usually associated with a bad throw-out-bearing, no?
No grinding at all, luckily. The vibration almost seems like it's just the revving from the engine resonating through the clutch pedal, if that makes any sense. And it only really happens when shifting from 1st to 2nd & 2nd to 3rd, and only when shifting at high rpms.

I guess the only reason I became concerned and felt the need to start this thread, was because of the weird issue I had the other day when the car simply would not shift into reverse at start-up. I know these transmissions can feel notchy when cold...but this was different...this was like reverse gear had disappeared. No grinding or anything...just woud not go in.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:04 AM

Received 1,444 Likes on 968 Posts

You getting any buzzing noise on deceleration? Esp when using the engine-&-gearing to slow the car?
Old 01-11-2019, 11:13 AM

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

It's similar to the clutch buzz my MY00 made when I bought it at 58k miles. I initially assumed it was a loose heat shield somewhere. Once I understood it to the clutch buzz, I decided I'd just drive it as the clutch was otherwise just fine. Then one day I had trouble shifting - the clutch was no longer releasing fully. Turned out the metal around one of the springs failed. Lesson learned: you can ignore the buzz for a long time, but not forever.
​​​​​​​
Old 01-16-2019, 03:43 PM

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by DanielB
It's similar to the clutch buzz my MY00 made when I bought it at 58k miles. I initially assumed it was a loose heat shield somewhere. Once I understood it to the clutch buzz, I decided I'd just drive it as the clutch was otherwise just fine. Then one day I had trouble shifting - the clutch was no longer releasing fully. Turned out the metal around one of the springs failed. Lesson learned: you can ignore the buzz for a long time, but not forever.

​​​​​​​