S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

diff and tranny fluid change question

Old 01-10-2005, 04:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diff and tranny fluid change question

Autozone sells the hose bulk as replacement fuel line.

Having looked at xviper's DIY on the diff, I see a clear (vinyl??) hose being used. Other than the disadvantage of not being clear, can anyone imagine any contamination issues with either LE 607 or GMSFM using this type of hose to do the filling?
Old 01-10-2005, 06:06 AM

i used a plastic turkey baster
Old 01-10-2005, 07:36 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Should work just fine. I use a long hose with a funnel stuck in the top and it works great.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:07 PM

I use a $4.xx valvoline pump that you can get from Pep Boys or Kragen. It comes w/ a clear hose.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:42 AM

Thanks, all. I assumed if the hose could stand up to raw fuel, a little oil would not cause any problems. Just wanted some reassurance.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:41 AM
Administrator

The hose will be fine. The only advantage to a clear hose is that you can see if anything is actually being pumped or not.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:52 PM
WPS

you can find plenty of clear hoses at home depot , get the flexible type, makes it easier
Old 01-12-2005, 03:58 AM

It will take you days to squeeze LE 607 through that hose. You really need a syringe type device to push that stuff into the diff.

Transmission oil will run ok

With clear vinyl tube you will be able to see the progress of the oil drain through the tube. Not too much of a biggie except for neatness as you can see when it's done draining. (it takes longer than you'd think to stop dripping through the hose)

Vinyl hose will degrade over time if left in contact with petroleum products. It is cheap enough to buy a new piece every time you change the oil.

I would not use the same delivery devices for the transmission and the differential without at least cleaning them first.

There have been so many reports of fussy transmissions and differentials on this board, I wouldn't chance any cross contamination. At least you will eliminate one cause/possibility if you ever have a problem.

Regards,
BD
Old 01-12-2005, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by Boston Duce,Jan 12 2005, 08:58 AM
It will take you days to squeeze LE 607 through that hose.
This had crossed my mind, having read some posts on how thick it is. I may need a new approach.

Originally Posted by Boston Duce,Jan 12 2005, 08:58 AM
There have been so many reports of fussy transmissions and differentials on this board, I wouldn't chance any cross contamination.
Exactly my concern (contamination of any kind). I appreciate the input.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Boston Duce,Jan 12 2005, 06:58 AM
It will take you days to squeeze LE 607 through that hose. You really need a syringe type device to push that stuff into the diff.

Transmission oil will run ok

With clear vinyl tube you will be able to see the progress of the oil drain through the tube. Not too much of a biggie except for neatness as you can see when it's done draining. (it takes longer than you'd think to stop dripping through the hose)

Vinyl hose will degrade over time if left in contact with petroleum products. It is cheap enough to buy a new piece every time you change the oil.

I would not use the same delivery devices for the transmission and the differential without at least cleaning them first.

There have been so many reports of fussy transmissions and differentials on this board, I wouldn't chance any cross contamination. At least you will eliminate one cause/possibility if you ever have a problem.

Regards,
BD

I agree completely

Quick Reply: diff and tranny fluid change question